Low Injector pressure issue - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2012, 02:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Low Injector pressure issue

Ok, I have searched many many threads and chased all the likely culprits.

Vehicle: 2001 excursion 7.3 psd, 175k miles

I am getting injector pressure over/under, can't remember exactly(not IDM failure), and truck is "ok" on power. No oil in the valley so I ruled out the HPOP orings. I put the AE on it and checked some things out:

ICP cycle is 64% at WOT, but injector control pressure is about 1300. When you lift off the throttle, the pressure jumps to over 2500, but only for a half a second or so.

So far I have:
Removed programmer
Changed oil, and verified level
Replaced fuel filter
Replaced IPR sensor
Cleaned, checked and reinstalled the injector pressure valve
Checked all connections
Replaced CPS with international one

So I figure I am down to HPOP or injector orings, I opt for orings and open it up. The oil blowoff was coated, as was the intake from there to the turbo, also some oil in the outlet tube of the turbo. Low and behold, someone has been in there before, looks like injector 8 was replaced, and the "clip" was put into the UVCH plug.

Started it and it seemed ok, no major oil splashing about(I was hoping for some obvious thing).

I pulled the injectors and they look uhhh, not so good. Pics are of two different injectors, one of which is #8. They all appear to be "carboned" up on the side that faces toward the exhaust. The tips all look like this too. Should I replace the orings, or get reman injectors? I really don't have the money right now for injectors, but also don't want to do this halfassed.
Attached Thumbnails
Low Injector pressure issue-img_0445-800x600-.jpg   Low Injector pressure issue-img_0446-800x600-.jpg   Low Injector pressure issue-img_0447-800x600-.jpg   Low Injector pressure issue-img_0448-800x600-.jpg   Low Injector pressure issue-img_0449-800x600-.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2012, 10:16 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

You are already in that far. Replace the o-rings: Riffraff Diesel: Alliant Injector O-rings

But more than likely, this is going to turn out to be a worn HPOP. Your best bet depending on your power goals is to put in a T500. You can get a reman HPOP from Ford but my experience has been that almost all the reman pumps leak. That and an HPOP from Ford isn't the cheapest thing in the world. Riffraff Diesel: Terminator T500 HPOP
Old 01-06-2012, 12:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I already have the O-rings, that is why I opened it, to replace those, but I am a little concerned about the injectors. Having not seen any others, I don't have a comparison.

I am trying to avoid the HPOP for some mental block, but would use a modded on if I am going to do it.

Nice truck btw, mine had a 7" lift and 35's on it; I took it back down to stock, and really miss it. I was hoping for some better mileage and towing performance(I tow a 38' 10k enclosed trailer); but gone none of that.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:19 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

For the miles you have, the injectors don't look that bad. The o-rings won't hurt but I don't really think that's your issue. Maybe you'll get lucky.

And thanks for the compliment. I'm surprised you didn't see a mileage improvement. The lift and wheels/tires killed my mileage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.