Read every "no start" post!! still cant start! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2011, 05:07 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cool Read every "no start" post!! still cant start!

Ok diesel heads,
I have a 99 f350 which ran great for a while then the transmission blew. so instead of fixing it like a normal person, i decided, screw it, ill just buy another one with an automatic tranny. well i got a really good deal on it for 900 dollars. so i cant get this one to start.

first of all the WTS light wouldnt come on, so i disconnected the fuel heater and then the WTS light does come on. SOOO....that lets me know that the guy didnt know too much about these trucks. on the other hand, I cant get it to start still.

I havent had time to check too many things on it quite yet but am open to suggestions as to what i should check first, second, and so on....i will say that even though i know youre not supposed to, i did spray a teeny little bit of ether in the air box and it still wouldnt start. also the number 22 fuse under the hood (which is the bottom fuse on the right row of the big fuses right?) is not blown. that seems wierd since the fuel heater was shorting out. i did replace the number 30 fuse under the dash and hasnt blown again when trying to start.

the batteries are almost brand new. the starter is cranking it pretty fast but still, the motor sounds weird like it has two regular cranks then one higher pitched crank if that makes any sense. probably nothing.

havent changed out the cps yet.

havent checked the hpop reservoir yet.

other than that i am lost. please please help a powerstroker out. i will gladly answer any questions i can for you when you have a problem thanks in advance.

SC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2011, 11:06 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Does the tach register RPMs when cranking?
Old 12-28-2011, 04:03 PM

what a headache

no the tach did not register when i tried to crank it. i did take the cps off and tried to replace it with my donor one. but of course i stripped the donor cps while trying to replace it. aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!

man, this is a headache. also how do i check the hpop reservoir?
Old 12-28-2011, 04:10 PM

Don't bother with the HPOP reservoir just yet. If your tach isn't moving when you crank the engine, your CPS is bad. Fix that first and then if you still have a no-start, you can chase other things.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:10 PM

You're on the right track with the CPS first.
There is a plug on the top of the reservior. Can't remember what fitting it takes but just undo it and it should have oil no more than an inch from the top.
Check oil level also. Might as well change it and fuel filter. Is fuel pump running?
Old 12-29-2011, 06:47 PM

I took out the cps and it looked new so i called the guy who i bought the truck from and he says he replaced it, i doubt he would lie about it, so im guessing its new. anyway the tach is still not moving so what frick?

Also, i talked to a mechanic and he said that these motors only need fuel and compression to start so he thought it could have been bad compression. I doubt it because the motor doesnt spin overly fast....it sounds just like any other powerstroke trying to start but wont.... ugh. he is supposed to come by saturday and do a compression test. he also says that if its not compression it could be glow plugs or my ECM. heres a thought, can i take my chipped ECM out of my 99 f350 7.3 and put it in a 99 f250 7.3? that would be cool.....any thoughts guys?
Old 12-29-2011, 06:57 PM

They also need oil to start to fire the injectors.
Replace the CPS with one you KNOW is working. Just to see.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:06 PM

The CPS never "looks" bad. It just quits working. If the tach doesn't register, there is no signal from the CPS.

While your mechanic is correct about only needing fuel and compression to start, timing is important too. Since the computer does not have a camshaft position reference, if does not apply power to the injectors. The injectors are a hydraulic/electric unit. No electricity to the injector = no injection.

Replace the CPS
Old 12-29-2011, 09:59 PM

I agree with what everyone above on the cps.
There is a sensor on the drivers side front of the head it is called the ICP sensor unplug it and try to start it. If it starts then replace that sensor. It is a high pressure oil sensor. If you are having a diesel mechanic look at the truck they can use a scan tool to verify the high pressures are correct.
I would check the glow plugs and relay. If that all checks out
Check the compression while the mechanic is there have him watch for oil to squirt out of the injectors. If some injectors are not squirting oil replace them.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:32 PM

AAAh.

Ok i replaced the CPS. The Tach is still not registering. what could cause that??? I put a test light on the ends of the wires and nothing. is it my ECM??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.