2000 7.3 problems - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2011, 07:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2000 7.3 problems

I have a 2000 F350 7.3 6 speed that won't run for crap. When I try to pull the codes it shows no codes but if I run the tests it shows P1316 and a few others including the code for the CPS. The issue started about 2 weeks ago, and we thought it was possibly gelled fuel, so I replaced the fuel filter, blew out the fuel line from the fuel pump to the tank, and put it back in the heated garage for the night. This made no difference what so ever. I started the truck and let it warm up and then checked both exhaust manifolds with an IR thermometer. The drivers side wasn't registering much heat, so when I put that with the IDM code I decided the UVC harness of the drivers side must be bad. So I replaced the whole harness and spliced in a new connector on the outside end since it was in questionable shape. Little if any difference. Then I replaced the fuel pump since it already had an aftermarket pump and we have had terrible luck with pumps in this truck. Again, no difference. It still will barely pull itself, granted it weighs in at 9,000#. The odd part is it will start and idle fine for about 3-5 seconds then the CEL comes back and the idle drops to about 600 RPMs and at WOT will have some white smoke in the exhaust. I have pretty well run out of ideas. As far as I know the IDM was replaced 3-5 years ago by a guy we had working on our truck that basically threw parts at it to get it to run. We've had this truck since she was new, and she's got 272,000 miles and since she's a bucket truck a whole bunch of idle hours. Any help would be much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2011, 07:10 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
What scanner are you using?

Run a Buzz-Test and see if you are able to pull the IDM codes (not all scanners do this). If not the UVCH, next the IDM needs to be looked at. You should take it out and examine it for water maybe...
Old 12-20-2011, 04:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Im just using a cheap scanner. I don't know how to run a buzz test, but I havent been able to pull the codes from the IDM. I'll pull the IDM and see how it looks first thing tomorrow. Is there a scanner I can rent to be able to do the buzz test and pull the IDM codes? Or do I need to go to a dealer, how much would they charge to pull codes and such? I guess the IDM could be bad, but I was really hoping it wasn't since it's fairly new. I've read countless posts on this same issue, but so many were solved with the UVCH, so when that didnt do it I kind of ran out of ideas. Thanks for the help.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:49 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Well if you are getting only one code for the cps then I would not be to worried about that.
There has to be something else you are not seeing that is going on.

I would take the truck to a shop with a good scanner as your cheapo scanner will not do much other than pull some codes.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well the holidays put work on the truck on hold. Since my last post, I have tried a few more things. I know I need to get the truck scanned, but it barely runs and I really dont want to pay a tow bill. I took the IDM out and put it in a truck with nothing wrong, and the IDM performed beautifully. So I figure that means we're good there. I also re-spliced all of the crimps I had already done, in case one wasnt any good. A while back the temp gauge would appear off from actual temp. so we thought maybe the temp sending unit was bad and was telling the PCM it was overheating so it was shutting down cylinders. Replaced it and no change. I found that the connector for the HPO pressure sesor was bad( when you touched the wires going into it thetruck would try to die), so I replaced it, no difference. Could it be a HPOP issue? Like low oil in the HPOP? I'm still not seeing any indication that any of the cyllinders on the drivers side are firing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.