2000 exscursion 7.3. ate up push rod. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2011, 08:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2000 exscursion 7.3. ate up push rod.

I have this 00 excursion at my shop came in customer stating he was driving at 70 on the freeway and then exited and it was running rough. This vehicle has a hot air intake and a programmer on it. I had no dtcs other than a p0605 which is due to the programmer. I did a contribution test and it came up with cylinders 3, 4, and 8. I pulled the valve covers for inspection of the UVCH and they were ok but , I got a push rod laying off to the side on cylinder three. So i grab my magnet and pull it out and the bottom half of an inch is missing and chewed off. I looked in the head at the lifter surface and it looks beat up. The oil pressure gauge was also reading nothing with the idiot light on at idle , but if you give it any throttle whatsoever it immediately jumped to the normal half gauge range. My question is? is this motor worth trying to save or would you think that metal is gonna be in all the injectors and trashed the engine? the motor has 265,000 miles on it. I am thinking I need to replace it as opposed to pulling the head and changing the lifter and getting a new push rod. I would hate to do all of that and then the motor is no good from the metal.. What do you pros think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2011, 09:24 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Metal in the oil is very rarely good for these motors, not to mention the injectors. It's going to basically need a full rebuild. May as well throw a reman in there. What he pays extra in parts, he'll make up in labor savings.
Old 12-15-2011, 05:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My thoughts exactly. I spoke to the customer today and he said the oil gauge reading zero and then coming up when you give it throttle has been like that a long time. The ball broke off the end of the push rod and then the push rod got roughed up. The thing thats got me puzzled is what the heck happened that caused this? Or is it just a fluke push rod failure.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

The low/no oil pressure at idle is usually a symptom of a cracked block in these motors. My guess is that the low oil pressure contributed to the pushrod failure. Hard to know without tearing it down.
Old 12-16-2011, 04:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for that good information.. and the replies.
Old 12-16-2011, 04:57 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Yeah, I think you would just be wasting time trying to patch it up. If it had low oil pressure issues then it probably caused a lifter to stick which is why it broke the pushrod. So the pushrod issue is probably just the end result of the problem, not the problem itself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.