White smoke at start up - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2011, 09:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
White smoke at start up

I have a 2001 F350 7.3 diesel and this year during cold weather start up it produces white smoke until warm. It starts on the first time but i am just wondering about the smoke. Is this something i should worry about now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2011, 04:01 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Is it excessive? A little bit isnt enough to worry about.

Quick causes/most common causes of white smoke- Glow plugs/relay going out, injector issues, coolant leak.

My guess would be your glow plugs are getting weak, since you said white smoke goes away after its warm. But older diesels produce alittle white smoke usually in cold weather start up's.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:53 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
How cold are you talking about? Does it start hard?
Old 10-29-2012, 05:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Sorry for bringing up a dead post, but the OP of this thread has the same issue I have been having. I have an 01 7.3 Powerstroke, roughly 200K on the clock, and in temperatures around 50 degrees and below on initial start up for the day I get a nice amount of smoke coming from my exhaust I would describe as grey/white/blue mixed, and smells bad (unburnt fuel?). I have an Edge Evolution CTS tuner, and have noticed that once the oil temp reaches 65 degrees the smoke is gone. I have a GPR LED mod, so I can tell that my relay is at least working (not sure whether its sending full amperage or not?) the truck starts pretty easily but runs a little rough until about 3 1/2 minutes of idling. I have no coolant loss, and lose a little bit of oil which I would blame on a dipstick O-Ring leak. Truck doesn't run poorly, or miss once it is warm. It also doesn't matter which tune I am running on the Evo.

Any opinions or thoughts?
Thanks,
-Nate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.