7.3 Bad heads or head gaskets or what... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2011, 10:06 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 Bad heads or head gaskets or what...

Hi new to posting here, Ive read many post on here and decided to join and see if can get some help spicific to my problems.. and Thank you to all those willing to help...

I have a 2002 F250 SD with the 7.3 auto on 40x15.5 toyos....

Any how... My problem started out with I toke the wife and kids out to the training area of the military base (middle nowhere like 20 miles from everyone, cell phone dont work yada yada) I was stationed at to play round, fish at the lake ect. Well on the way back the lower radiator hose on the truck blew and ofcourse drained the collent. Stuck with being stranded in 100+ heat and overheating the family to death or overheating the truck on way back to house (30 min or so) I chose to save kids over the truck. DAMN! Had it been me and the wife she would been waiting in the heat... lol... Ne ways replaced the hose refilled the radiator and it ran great for awhile.

Problem now is sometimes not always it will start like boiling the collent out the cap. Still runs normal temp acourding the lieometer in dash. other times i can drive it for few hundred miles and it wont act up other times i cant get it to stop. tempermental B***H... Had a friend run compression test on it and he didnt give me the spicifc numbers but said after that he figured it was a head or head gasket. He dosnt really do diesel work tho so im kinda stuck.

If it is head or head gasket how hard are they to do yourself and any advice...

I love the truck and know 7.3s dont generly have problems and yes i know the problems were from running it hot and driving it home but as i said family or truck. Had it been in town or somewhere where could of gotten help i would of stoped right away no brainer and probley wouldnt be having ne trouble now but what can ya do... lol

Oh if it makes a diffrance or not it was running a superchip programer on it (came with truck) but after insident i tuned it back to stock and the programer is layin in the house. Thinking bout goin to TW chip after getting it fixed and running right.

Really miss driving it round..... Love the looks i get from cars when my headlights shine over their roof...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2011, 12:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

That stinks man, but family does come first. I'd say either of the issues you were told could be entirely possible. I think there are ways to be more sure, but I don't remember how. I wouldn't think that working on these beasts are that much different than working on any other gas big block. If it doesn't scare you to pull one of those apart, I'd say you should be able to do this. It's just a few extra parts to get out of the way! LOL! I would say most everything would be nothing more than a guess until you got the heads off of the truck. Then you would know if its warped heads or what not. Good Luck!!!
Old 12-12-2011, 07:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Gauge on the dash shows normal temp but you are getting boil over? I have seen the dash gauge come up without boil over before. Perhaps the thermostat is sticking closed?
Old 12-12-2011, 08:46 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck_yager View Post
That stinks man, but family does come first. I'd say either of the issues you were told could be entirely possible. I think there are ways to be more sure, but I don't remember how. I wouldn't think that working on these beasts are that much different than working on any other gas big block. If it doesn't scare you to pull one of those apart, I'd say you should be able to do this. It's just a few extra parts to get out of the way! LOL! I would say most everything would be nothing more than a guess until you got the heads off of the truck. Then you would know if its warped heads or what not. Good Luck!!!
Dude these 7.3's are easier to work on than big blocks. I would check the thermostat first if it is not that then pull the heads but you will need a cherry picker and a engine chain. Do not use ant old chain get the engine one with the tabs on it.
You will need a couple of rubber bands to hold up the head studs that you can not remove on the passenger side for when you put the head back on.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:24 PM
Serving Our Country!

Thanks for the replies
Old 12-16-2011, 05:50 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
You need to check and see how much coolant psi you are building, the easiest way is to put a coolant psi tester on and run the truck if you are building over what the cap is rated at possibly the head gasket. Next I'd combustion test the coolant system to confirm then pull heads good luck.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:39 PM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuonen10 View Post
You need to check and see how much coolant psi you are building, the easiest way is to put a coolant psi tester on and run the truck if you are building over what the cap is rated at possibly the head gasket. Next I'd combustion test the coolant system to confirm then pull heads good luck.

Bingo... rad cap failed.... thanks for the addvise.... something so simple had my truck down for so long
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.