Shudder, low on power, tons of new parts, still issues - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2011, 12:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Shudder, low on power, tons of new parts, still issues

I'm going to copy my issue from a post over on Dieselstop...

Shudder, low power..... - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com

also been posted on PSN

Shudder, low on power, tons of new parts, still issues - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomanyguns View Post
2002 F350 with 320,000 km.

Starts very easy, does not burn oil, no black or heavy blue smoke, decent fuel economy, no check engine light.

When cruising at steady speed and torque converter locks up the truck shudders. (at about 1500 rpm) If I let off accelerator pedal the shudder disappears. If I increase rpm and cause truck to downshift the shudder disappears. If I switch off the overdrive the shudder disappears. The shudder is more pronounced if I have a load in the back of truck.

I also notice decrease in power while towing or if heavy load (full fuel tank) in back of truck.

Today an extensive test drive and stationary scan was performed (Snap On scanner) and I was told that #1 and #8 injectors are bad. Mechanic said this will cause the shudder. The scan was performed while stationary.

I'm not so sure at this point.
Any advice out there?
I'm having this EXACT same issue. I've been having my buddies at my shop help me out and have been using the Snap On Solus reader for troubleshooting.

2001 F350 SRW, ext. cab 4x4 with 239,xxx miles

So far this is what has been changed in the last 2 months

8- Brand new Alliance Power AD injectors
new under valve cover harnesses with $.25 mod/gaskets
new International Cam Position Sensor
new OEM fuel filter
completely rebuilt 4R100 trans
brand new billet torque conveter

even after all this work, the truck is still acting up, and doing exactly the same thing as the OP.

around 1500rpm under load or cruise 30-45mph, the truck has a definite hiccup-studder to it. Something is definitely NOT right.

Truck is blowing a whitish/blue smoke at idle and when on the accelerator.

No engine codes
good oil pressure per the scanner
PERDEL values are 0 across the board as long as the truck is moving (#2,#8 values go up at idle)
all tests that you can do on the SNAP ON reader come back with a pass
no issues starting the truck even on cold days (30 deg this morning, no problems)

Its driving my buddies and I completely crazy, and all our troubleshooting is not helping.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Last edited by 99Mpower; 12-07-2011 at 12:44 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2011, 01:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

bump... any help?
Old 12-11-2011, 04:01 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

What is your fuel pressure have you checked that?
Old 12-11-2011, 04:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgassel View Post
What is your fuel pressure have you checked that?
We checked it live on the feedback with the Snap On Solus reader. Couldnt see anything weird going on.

Whats the proper fuel pressure?
Old 12-11-2011, 04:22 PM

I do not think you were looking a fuel pressure on the scanner you need to hook up a gauge inline.

The High pressure oil is what you was probaly seeing.

If I remember right the fuel pressure should be 50-60 psi.

I just got done taking diesel classes and checking the fuel pressure was one of the things we did a couple of times.

I have an 02 and you can not see the fuel pressure on the scanners we used and we had the top of the line snap on scanners.

Last edited by mgassel; 12-11-2011 at 04:26 PM.
Old 12-11-2011, 04:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

i have a fuel pressure gauge that connects via a schrader valve. Is there a spot that I can hook that up to?
Old 12-13-2011, 11:02 AM

I'm getting EXACTLY the same symptoms. Contribution test shows #2 and #8 are underperforming. I replaced #2, tested again, put about 20 miles on her to clear the air out, and only #8 was reporting bad. Then I moved the known good injector in #2 to #8, put a suspected good spare in #2, drove her a ways, then ran the contribution test again. Now #2 and #8 are testing bad again.

The monitor says my high pressure oil is in expected range, but when I put her under load (especially moderate acceleration), the engine light will come on. Idle is 490 PSI, romping on her to accelerate will put her up to 2500 PSI or so.

Fuel pressure is 65 PSI.

Any ideas?
Old 12-13-2011, 11:04 AM

Quote:
I do not think you were looking a fuel pressure on the scanner you need to hook up a gauge inline.

The High pressure oil is what you was probaly seeing.

If I remember right the fuel pressure should be 50-60 psi.

I just got done taking diesel classes and checking the fuel pressure was one of the things we did a couple of times.

I have an 02 and you can not see the fuel pressure on the scanners we used and we had the top of the line snap on scanners.
Same. I don't think any of the 99-02 7.3 DITs report fuel pressure to the computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99Mpower View Post
i have a fuel pressure gauge that connects via a schrader valve. Is there a spot that I can hook that up to?
Not with a schrader valve. There's a couple of plugs you can pull out of the back of the fuel bowl and screw in. There are also test plugs on each head (forward by the AC on the passenger side, rear near the turbo on the drivers side) that you can remove and hook a line to.
Old 12-13-2011, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanmills View Post
I'm getting EXACTLY the same symptoms. Contribution test shows #2 and #8 are underperforming. I replaced #2, tested again, put about 20 miles on her to clear the air out, and only #8 was reporting bad. Then I moved the known good injector in #2 to #8, put a suspected good spare in #2, drove her a ways, then ran the contribution test again. Now #2 and #8 are testing bad again.

The monitor says my high pressure oil is in expected range, but when I put her under load (especially moderate acceleration), the engine light will come on. Idle is 490 PSI, romping on her to accelerate will put her up to 2500 PSI or so.

Fuel pressure is 65 PSI.

Any ideas?
You either have a problem with the icp sensor, ipr valve you need to have 500 psi for it to run properly from what my diesel instructor told me.
When romping on it your pressure should be higher too.
You can test the oil pressure on the head if you have the correct gauge.
I am told the hpop hardly ever goes out
Old 12-13-2011, 10:56 PM

Quote:
You either have a problem with the icp sensor, ipr valve you need to have 500 psi for it to run properly from what my diesel instructor told me.
When romping on it your pressure should be higher too.
You can test the oil pressure on the head if you have the correct gauge.
I am told the hpop hardly ever goes out
Yeah I cleaned out the ICP. I'm going to try rebuilding the IPR, then replacing the ICP next.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.