cold start 99 7.3 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2011, 08:03 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
cold start 99 7.3

hey guys i just got my truck not too long ago so i am new to the diesel engines (been around mustangs most all of my life, and a couple jeeps haha). i live in north carolina and lately its been getting chilly at night and the early mornin. ive noticed its harder to start when it gets below 40. these past mornings, around 730am because i warm it up before going to school, it has been around 30 outside and it barley wanted to start. a good amount of white smoke would come out when i would crank it, and more when it cranked, but stopped after a minute or so. i decided i would plug it in tonight to see what it does so we will see. ive heard from some to let the glow plugs cycle before starting, so that means to turn the switch on and off for the wait to start light to cycle? but ive also heard thats not good for the GPR. there was also a loud kinda hisssing sound from the exhaust yesterday morning, which was the coldest morning so far, so idk what the hissing is. If anyone can help me out that would be great cause im new to the 7.3, but i love it so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2011, 08:07 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I've got a buddy with a 99 7.3 with the same complaint. If I find it I'll let you know.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:18 PM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The smoke is normal. Fuel is cold and yes, you need to cycle the key once, and let the wts light go out. Once that happens, the glow plugs should be on and good to go. Assuming your gp relay and all gp's are in good working order, this should help it start easier. Also, there is a warm up valve, called a ebpv, or exhaust back pressure valve that's on the outlet of the Turbo. That stays closed for a bit in colder weather to help the engine warm up. The hissing will go away once it warms up a bit and the ebpv opens up. It will also decrease power in the truck when its closed, so don't be worried when you notice power loss.

Sent from my Acer Android Tablet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.