Chasing down a fuel leak - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2006, 04:24 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Chasing down a fuel leak

The other day I noticed that I smelled some fuel when I was driving my truck around. When I stopped there was a small pubble of fuel under my truck coming down the back of the engine. I started to look for the leak today and it has become worse, now the drip is almost a steady stream of drips while the truck is running. I looked under the hood and there is fuel in the bottom of the intake manifold all the way up front to the HPOP. I started the truck up and examined around the HPOP while it was running and not a drop, I looked under my truck and there was still fuel streaming out. I'm getting ready to go out and put it on the lift. I was just trying to get some insight as to where I should look first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2006, 04:43 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Send a message via Yahoo to gbear
re: fuel leak

If you have a 7.3 check around the fuel pump and the lines connected to it.
there is a lot of plumbing in this area. Also use an inspection mirror and look at the bottom of the fuel pump. There is a small hole that if your pump is going out will leak fuel out. You might want to check the fittings where the
fuel lines connect to the rear of the heads.
Good Luck
Jim
Old 06-20-2006, 05:04 PM

I found my leak guys. It's one of the fuel lines that comes out of the HPOP and goes to the back side of the passenger side head. Naturally it looks like the hardest one to replace. It looks as if the bracket that holds it right next to where the CAC dumps into the head has rubbed it till it leaked. I guess I will have to take a bunch of stuff off to get to it. But this is a good opportunity to install my new superior compressor wheel!!!
Old 06-20-2006, 05:05 PM
Banned

im assuming its a 99-03 truck since its in these forums.........

check very closely at the fuel filter housing. if you just put a filter in it before the leak started i would suspect the o ring on the cap. also, the o rings that seal the four lines that come into the sides (two on each side) should be inspected. the most common leak other than the fuel cap is the drain valve. it is the thing that has the yellow lever on the back of the housing. u usually get fuel out of the drain tube that dumps at the right front of the timing cover as well when this leaks, so look for fuel on the ground as well.......Marc
Old 06-20-2006, 05:06 PM
Banned

posted at allmost the same time....lol...glad you found the leak!
Old 06-20-2006, 05:11 PM

Yeah I'm glad too. Is that a common problem with these late 99 trucks. The line is leaking right in the middle. It's not leaking from any fittings. Thanks guys.
Old 06-20-2006, 05:31 PM
Banned

no, its not a common problem......just a fluke occurence......Marc
Old 07-24-2006, 04:16 AM

Marc, earlier in this thread you addressed my fuel drain from the filter housing might be leaking. Well I was changing my oil this weekend and I noticed that it looked like fuel had been coming out where that copper tube drains, and I traced that back to the fuel drain. What would be the fix for this, is there an o-ring kit for this?
Old 07-24-2006, 07:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragr8cer
Marc, earlier in this thread you addressed my fuel drain from the filter housing might be leaking. Well I was changing my oil this weekend and I noticed that it looked like fuel had been coming out where that copper tube drains, and I traced that back to the fuel drain. What would be the fix for this, is there an o-ring kit for this?
i dont remember what size they are, but yes, you can just replace the o rings.....if you go that rout, be VERY carefull with the four torx head screws that hold it on.....

The dealer fix is to replace the valve which comes with new o rings and screws......

Search through the threads, i know someone posted it....i think it may have been overloard....
Old 07-24-2006, 07:44 AM

As always, thank you sir
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.