oil smoke - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2011, 04:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
oil smoke

i recently took my dads 2000 crew cab dually 7.3 auto 4x4 on a trip to north carolina to get some dodge parts. we were stuck in traffic and after it would idle for a few seconds and we would take off with it. It would blow a bunch of blue oil smoke out the exhaust. Is this a turbo seal thats bad or is it something else? also we were only getting about 9mpg towing a 32' enclosed car trailer that weighs about 8500lbs. we were going 70-75. does this sound about normal? i noticed it increased to 11.5mpg if i slowed down to 67 mph. im not complaining about the mileage it was gonna burn what it was gonna burn. it ran fine and never missed a beat, just wondering what everyone else was getting. the only mods it has a 4" downpipe to full 4" exhaust, and a kandn filter in the stock box. thanks guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2011, 09:07 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
How do your fluids look? Any CEL's?

How were you calculating mileage?
Old 12-01-2011, 03:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Fluids look fine. It drips some oil out of the pan, so I checked it everytime we stopped. It never got down to where I needed to add any oil. my cummins blew a turbo seal and would blue smoke all the time. Thats why I was leaning towards a turbo seal. Are these turbos easy to ovehaul? I was thinking a good rebuild and a wicked wheel. The truck ran perfect never missed a beat. No cel. I divided the miles by the gallons to figure mileage. I think the mileage was right it only gets around 15mpg empty according to my dad. I think a tuner would help it, im pretty certain we're gonna put on a gryphon tuner.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:57 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
Well, pull the intake plastic off, and get into the turbo inlet and check the wheel for play.... should be none up/down left/right, and almost none in/out. Check the wheel itself for any signs of damage.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Unless you have a Ball Bearing Turbo, will will certainly find "up/down left/right" movement on that wheel....

You have to,,, it's just a bushing and that shaft "floats" on engine oil under pressure. When there is no pressure there is a significant gap between the shaft & bushing so, you're gonna feel some slop. The test is to see if you can feel the wheel scraping on the housing, THEN you know it's shot!
Old 08-14-2012, 11:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Did you find a fix for your problem?? I have the almost identical truck and mine is doing the exact same thing. Just wondering if you found the issue.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yea we fixed it. Took the turbo off, the shaft would move in and out about a half inch. It chewed up the compressor wheel. And completely ruined the turbine wheel. We ended up going with a van turbo that we had on bus out back. We rebuilt it with a WW and rebuild kit we bought and intended to use on the original turbo. You will need an adaptor to delete the EBPV flapper on the bus turbo if you go that route. Truck runs a million times better no noticeable lack in spool up and it pulls harder on top. MPGs got better too I think all the old turbo was was an exhaust restriction.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99redgtp View Post
Yea we fixed it. Took the turbo off, the shaft would move in and out about a half inch. It chewed up the compressor wheel. And completely ruined the turbine wheel. We ended up going with a van turbo that we had on bus out back. We rebuilt it with a WW and rebuild kit we bought and intended to use on the original turbo. You will need an adaptor to delete the EBPV flapper on the bus turbo if you go that route. Truck runs a million times better no noticeable lack in spool up and it pulls harder on top. MPGs got better too I think all the old turbo was was an exhaust restriction.
Well I hope that is the same problem for me too then. I just ordered a gtp38r on friday. So with any luck I will get more power and fix the issue at the same time. Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.