F-350 hiccuping and cutting out - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2011, 03:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
F-350 hiccuping and cutting out

New to the whole diesel scene and having issue. I have a 01' F-350(195k)that is intermittently hiccuping and/or just cutting out. When this happens the water in fuel light, wait to start light and check engine soon light comes on. If I turn off the ignition and go back to start it up it flicks these light on and off sporadically or goes through the normal start sequence where I can hear the relays cycle. If it goes though normal start sequence it starts right back up and runs fine until it happens again. I have drained the fuel bowl and changed the filter and while this usually allows it to start it doesn't always. This is happening at all different times or not at all for a week. It had happened last spring and after I changed fuel filter and added some 911 it went away. I have gone though 3 tanks of fuel since problem has reoccurred with it becoming more frequent. Sorry for the long post. Pictures are very helpful since I am new to diesels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2011, 04:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

After doing more research on here I am going to try changing the CPS. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:38 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Could be the CPS. Have you had the recall done?
Also could be a loose PCM connection, UVCH connections. No pics, but you can search those things and come up with a lot.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Not sure if CPS recall has been done. I put in a new CPS and it did not solve issue. Have now cleaned the PCM contacts, and will be checking Glow Plug relay at work tomorrow to see if that is possible issue. I have looked at the wiring and haven't noticed anything that looks suspicious. When truck is running it runs very smooth which is why I don't think it is the UVCS. Any other ideas?
Old 12-04-2011, 12:22 PM

The UVCHs can come loose and make good connections intermittently. GPR will only help in starting.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I had thought that too but had read about a few people that had shorts in them where the truck would just cut out. Trying to eliminate any possibilities that i can think of.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I bet it's fuel related and in ur tank, the mixing bowl on the tank sender unit have small mesh screens that plug up. Same type of thing haunted me for a long time till I dropped the tank and holy cow there is the problem.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 12-06-2011, 03:51 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
WTS - SES -WIF all sound like an electrical "glitch" to me. I don't see how a fuel issue would do That (what does the WTS have to do with fuel???)

Do the needles drop too? Does it seem to happen after you hit a bump maybe?

I'm thinking OD wires in the column, fuseable links, bad ground, loose fuse, that kind of stuff.....
Old 12-06-2011, 05:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So I checked the Glow Plug solenoid and while it worked it had higher resistance that it should and it got higher as I activated it. So got a new one installed and started truck hoping for the best. Truck ran for about 10mins and died. Only difference was there was only the Water in Fuel light and Service Engine soon lights lit, no Wait to Start. So it appears I have solved 1 issue just not the one causing the engine to shutdown. Started the truck back up and went through a few times of it dying and either the WiF light and SeS light lighting up or just the SeS light coming on. Took it up to the place close to home to have code read on scanner and no luck, no codes were up. When truck would die I would have to turn key off to get truck to start back up and then no lights would be lit up. Might have to look into it maybe being fuel pressure or something. Really not sure where to go from here, still seems electrical to me. Ohh yeah the RPMs drop off when it happens and it either dies or the RPMs come right back to where they should be.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

check your battery terminals to see if they are loose or corroded. also try doing a "wiggle" test on any of the wiring harness you can get to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.