Engine surge after startup - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2006, 08:28 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Engine surge after startup

This is the second time this has happened with my truck since I had the 36k service done. Don't know if there's any correlation between the two.

After warming the glow plugs as soon as the truck is started the engine "revs" twice really fast to about 2k. It's never done this in the 5 years I've owned it until about 2 weeks ago. Anyone else have this happen or know why it does it?

The truck is a 2001 F550 7.3/auto Mileage is about 38k
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2006, 08:47 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantom
This is the second time this has happened with my truck since I had the 36k service done. Don't know if there's any correlation between the two.

After warming the glow plugs as soon as the truck is started the engine "revs" twice really fast to about 2k. It's never done this in the 5 years I've owned it until about 2 weeks ago. Anyone else have this happen or know why it does it?

The truck is a 2001 F550 7.3/auto Mileage is about 38k
does it have a PTO for the dump bed???
Old 06-19-2006, 08:50 PM
Premium Member

Nope, not PTO. The dump bed is eletric over hydraulic.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:54 PM
Banned

sorry then, ive seen that with pto trucks...but ive never seen that with a non PTO unit......thought i was onto something...
Old 06-19-2006, 08:55 PM
Power Strokeaholic

does it smoke? howa bout glow plugs? relay? shot in the dark.
Old 06-19-2006, 09:08 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschn99
sorry then, ive seen that with pto trucks...but ive never seen that with a non PTO unit......thought i was onto something...
Not quite the answer i was looking for. I wanted something along the lines of "sounds like your torque flange doohicky valve, they do that all the time"

Glow plugs seem to be doing their job. After running all day, she does tend to blow little whisps of white smoke. Not enough that you'd really notice though.
It doesn't do it every time I start it, although I'm sure it's a "dealer couldn't duplicate problem" situation.
Old 06-20-2006, 06:25 AM
Banned

only thing i can think of is either a bad copper washer on the injectors, or an injector itself leaking down sometimes.....
Old 07-25-2006, 09:45 AM

I've noticed a similar problem; a couple times now on cold start up it'll buck and surge until I blip the gas pedal.

wonder if I'm seeing the early signs of that filter clogging thing people talk about all the time.

I've noticed that on cold, cold starts--like literally only the first start of the day--the motor will buck when you first start it up. You wait for the glow plugs to warm up, you fire it up, and as soon as it catches and turns over you release the ignition key just like you always do. At that point it'll buck pretty noticeably...imagine a big lumpy cam but slower. Vrum, vrum, vrum, vrum....like it's coughing and gasping for fuel. Give the gas pedal a quick blip and it levels out immediately and it doesn't happen again no matter how many more times you start it for the rest of the day.

I drained off a bunch of water from the water separator the other day, so it's probably not that. My guess is that a little bit of stuff has probably congealed on the filter and that it loosens up when the motor warms up, but that when it's a cold start the motor is gasping for more fuel. I'm going to pull the fuel filter and see if it's gunky. If that's not it, anyone have any other ideas about what causes it to buck at cold start idle?

The rest of the time it runs like a dream--quieter than ever, smoother, making more power than it ever has, so I don't think I've got an injector or fuel delivery problem for the most part.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProGunProgressive
I've noticed a similar problem; a couple times now on cold start up it'll buck and surge until I blip the gas pedal.

wonder if I'm seeing the early signs of that filter clogging thing people talk about all the time.

I've noticed that on cold, cold starts--like literally only the first start of the day--the motor will buck when you first start it up. You wait for the glow plugs to warm up, you fire it up, and as soon as it catches and turns over you release the ignition key just like you always do. At that point it'll buck pretty noticeably...imagine a big lumpy cam but slower. Vrum, vrum, vrum, vrum....like it's coughing and gasping for fuel. Give the gas pedal a quick blip and it levels out immediately and it doesn't happen again no matter how many more times you start it for the rest of the day.

I drained off a bunch of water from the water separator the other day, so it's probably not that. My guess is that a little bit of stuff has probably congealed on the filter and that it loosens up when the motor warms up, but that when it's a cold start the motor is gasping for more fuel. I'm going to pull the fuel filter and see if it's gunky. If that's not it, anyone have any other ideas about what causes it to buck at cold start idle?

The rest of the time it runs like a dream--quieter than ever, smoother, making more power than it ever has, so I don't think I've got an injector or fuel delivery problem for the most part.
My truck is doing this when I start it also. But what's weird is it only does this on probably 1 out of 10 starts? I am pretty sure it's not the fuel filter because I just changed it out a couple of weeks ago. It was doing the bucking thing with the old filter as well. My truck runs great the rest of the time also, just does that bouncy thing sometimes when I start it.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:28 AM

Yeah, it's not really a problem, the truck drives great, idles great, doesn't smoke, makes a ton of power, etc. It's just that A) I've recently switched to B100 and B) noticed that I had to drain the water from the separator. I had to do that once before when the truck was still on petrodiesel. My thought was maybe I've got that problem that you hear about with bio, that I've loosened up some gunk in the tank or fuel system and it's congealing on my filter and starving it...and then going away as the thing warms up.

But I've noticed that as soon as you blip the throttle with your foot, the problem disappears instantly. Like you're jump starting fuel delivery or something. Interesting. Certainly not a problem I'm going to spend hours hunting down, but I just want to make sure it doesn't portend future troubles.

Last edited by ProGunProgressive; 07-25-2006 at 10:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.