Excursion 7.3 stuttering?!? Any ideas? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2011, 05:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy Excursion 7.3 stuttering?!? Any ideas?

I have a 01 Ford Excursion with a 7.3 in it. When we purchased the truck, I was told that it had a performance chip in it, it has over 260,000 miles on it. I love my truck and refuse to get rid of it, but my husband is beginning to get frustrated with it and is on the verge of telling me that it has to go...

It has been idling rough, barely noticeable, but its my truck, and I notice it, and a couple of weeks ago, I was driving to daughters school and it shut down, I pulled it over, stopped it and then restarted it with no problems, it did it again about an hour later, but has not done it since that day. I changed out the CPS yesterday, and am getting ready to change the oil in it as soon as it cools off from driving it this morning...

The ICP is bad and needs to be replaced, there was oil in it when I unplugged it to trouble shoot... THe Check engine light is on, and when it is hooked up, it throws codes glow plugs 2, 4, 6, and 8... I was told that it is more than likely the glow plug relay, rather than 4 glow plugs going bad at once?

It does the stuttering when I am barely in the gas, and only for a few seconds... if I goose it, it stops stuttering and drives like it should... I am stumped... Would a bad ICP cause the stuttering, even tho I have the ICP unplugged right now?

Thanks in advance for you alls help... I aint afraid to crawl up under my truck and get dirty, I just need an idea as to where to go from here...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2011, 05:31 AM
Real Men of Genius

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
When's the last time the fuel filter was changed? My old 7.3 did the same thing yours is doing, sputtering and rough idle, but once I changed the CPS it stopped. Where did you buy the CPS from? Are there any other codes being thrown besides the glow plugs? I definitely think it's the glow plug relay rather than 4 going bad at once.

Also, whenever you do your next oil change, try to invest in some Rev-X. The stuff is amazing for injectors, it clears them right up. It's even been known to bring injectors "back from the dead".

And I don't know much about the ICP, maybe someone more knowledgable than I could step in. Good luck to you.
Old 11-18-2011, 05:49 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I think that its been a good bit of time since the fuel filter was changed... Is this something that I could do at home? I have access to tons of tools here, and am not afraid of getting dirty, but how hard of a job is it?

I purchased the CPS from the Ford dealership... I originally bought one from Autozone, then was reading on this forum and decided to take it back and go grab one from Ford... So the CPS that is in now, is from FORD.

As for the codes, thats one thing that stumps me, is the only codes being thrown are glow plugs 2,4,6,and 8.... Glad to hear that Im not the only one who thinks its more than likely not all of those glow plugs, although from what research I have done, it would probably be cheaper to replace 4 glow plugs than it will be to replay the relay...

I guess I can run and grab some rev x right now, since I havent started to change my oil yet...
Old 11-18-2011, 05:52 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
can be the under valve cover harness on that side(drivers) that can explain glow plug issues and also hesitation.
Old 11-18-2011, 05:53 AM

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to dereku
if one whole bank is bad its your under valve cover harness. I would change all of that, the CPS with a good unit if yours wasnt, and while you are in there change the glow plugs and injector o rings, and even knock out the relay. Should be fairly cheap if you look around for good pricing say $350 to $500 tops.
Old 11-18-2011, 05:55 AM

The glow plug issue would only be when starting it. Not anything to do with hesitating or driveability. You may very well need a glow plug relay but they are cheap. Forthe hesitating i would check the harnesses. I would then have the icp sensor changed, and put it on a scanner to see with the ipr is reading and what the duty cycle is at?
Old 11-18-2011, 06:00 AM

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to dereku
if your glow plug relay is stuck on it will cause a ton of issues driving it, and if the harness is shorting out it will also short out the injector wires as well.

Just try all the stuff I said because it is normally all of that. And if you try one at a time you will end up needing new gaskets before you finish em all because they will prolly leak by then.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Had the drivers side valve cover off a couple of months back for issues I was having with her, I cannot recall the name of the part, but was told it was notorious for coming unplugged or breaking... it was loose, not fully connected, plugged it back in and put truck back together and because my husband misunderstood me, and grabbed a new valve cover rather than a new harness, he installed a new valve cover on the drivers side.

I called Ford about the parts that have been mentioned here $177.00 for the ICP sensor, UCVH is $78.00, Fuel Filter is $45.00 and the glow plug relay is $173.17....

We are leaving to go see grandma for the holidays next week, from the sounds of it, this is going to be a long weekend spent under the hood of my truck... blah....

So the UCVH would cause the hesitation? Could it be that something has come unplugged in this harness, or if the code is showing 4 bad glow plugs, you think it should be replaced?
Old 11-18-2011, 06:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

And another question.... THe glow plug relay.... Can someone describe what it looks like? I google it and it comes up a round part with posts on the top and is under $50.00 but when I look at autozone, it is a rectangular part with two plug in areas and it grey and over $230.00?!?!?
Old 11-18-2011, 07:31 AM

advance auto has the glow plug relay or 17 bucks. its part number gpr7.
the wiring is slightly in a different position. The posts are about 45 degrees different but its all the same., Hook the wires up the same. The under valve cover harness is 51 on ebay, I just bought one. I will post the link shortly. Stancor has a better glow plug relay, but if money is tight just get the gpr7. Internally same as original but a lot cheaper.
the glow plugs, the factory ones,"berus" on ebay are like 12 each too.
Napa relay part number gpr 109
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.