2001 7.3 rough idle poor mpg - Page 3 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2011, 03:51 AM
WNY Biodiesel Co-op

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by garretthoehn View Post
HMM, well i ran the buzz test several times, along with cylinder contribution tests, and no codes except for the cylinder 8 contribution test so i have been leaning more and more towards the ipr and or hpop or fuel pump
I randomly get #8 fail the contribution test even with the AD injector.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2011, 05:17 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Well i have bigger problems now, my alternator went out yessterday and i have to glow plugs that are open and the other six have 0.00 ohms of ressistance, so i get to jack with that first.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:16 PM

well i got the alternator and glow plugs done, now back to the crappy mpg and slightly rough idle haha im still thinkin hpop, ipr or fuel pump
Old 11-02-2011, 12:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

im sorry if i missed it in the thread somewhere but how many miles are on the injectors? I had a no start/hard start issue with my truck and after going through the whole mess your going through i finally bit the bullet and got 8 stage 1 single shots from swamps and problem solved. You might be lucky if your hard start is just the glow plugs but a real simple way to tell is to plug the truck in over night and if it fires right up then its most likely your injectors. Weak injectors will also cause the rough idle and poor fuel economy. Injectors are almost always the cause of these mysterious problems with the 7.3. The buzz test wont really tell you if the injectors are bad. Its an electrical test meant to tell you if the electrical connectors and or the solenoids on the injectors are hooked up and working properly. If one injector doesnt buzz then theres a disconnection or a complete fault. If some buzz weaker than others its a sign of a weak electrical solenoid and or a faulty injector but it doesnt tell you anything about the health of the hydraulic side and actual fuel portions of the injector as the engine is not actually running during the test. All 8 of my injectors buzzed and buzzed loudly but when we pulled them and did a flow bench test all 8 were weak and 2 where completely garbage. My truck would not start after sitting for 8-12 hours but if plugged in it would fire right up. This had nothing to do with the electrical portion of the injectors and everything to do with the hydraulic side. warm oil is much thinner than cold oil and therefor warmed up the cold stuck injectors. Warm injectors fire off a lot easier than cold ones. The only way to truly test the health of an injector is with a flow bench test.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:15 PM

i have 159000 on it, i am just trying everything before i resort to injectors, and if it is injectors, i will end up getting a set of hybrids, but what were you getting for fuel mileage, and it doesnt matter if its 10 degrees outside or 100 degrees it starts up the same everytime
Old 01-23-2012, 09:17 AM

well i ordered injectors and they should be here by the end of the week, fingers crossed,
so we will see if that fixes all of my issues.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:23 PM

was this ever fixed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.