2002 7.3L code 1298 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2007, 06:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2002 7.3L code 1298

I have a 02 7.3 that will hardly run, if it starts. it has a hard fault 1298, for IDM. I am not sure where to start, there are several possibilities. Any suggestions? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2007, 07:33 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambulance doctor View Post
I have a 02 7.3 that will hardly run, if it starts. it has a hard fault 1298, for IDM. I am not sure where to start, there are several possibilities. Any suggestions? Thanks
p1298 is an idm failure code , buts its very possible you have a short harness un hooked under the valve cover , needs to run an injector buzz test but if you dont have the means to do that you can just pul the valve covers and see , had one this week with the same code , had driver side short harness loose , just keep in mind it could be either side
Old 08-24-2007, 07:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I did a buzz test and all injectors seemed to respond. I started it this morning and it runs better, but still has miss and fuel smoke upon acceleration. There is no MIL, but still has the hard 1298 fault.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:57 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambulance doctor View Post
I did a buzz test and all injectors seemed to respond. I started it this morning and it runs better, but still has miss and fuel smoke upon acceleration. There is no MIL, but still has the hard 1298 fault.
did you clear the system out totally and rerun injector buzz and koeo, just to make sure , if it doesnt go away then , it is possible to be the idm
Old 08-24-2007, 11:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I cleared the codes and rerun buzz test. test drove unit and it never missed a lick. rechecked codes--none. seems to be perfect, but since I didn't actually do anything, I'm still suspicious. I'll run it local until the problem resurfaces...Thanks.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:05 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
sometimes it will run fine until that UVC harness gets hot or shakes loose. Best bet is to pull the top bolts, pry it up and take a look..
But the first step on the pinpoint test, ask if it pops up on KOEO, if so, replace IDM.. BUt its notin front of meso have fun..
Old 08-24-2007, 12:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have R+R the harness you are refering to on another truck before, but not on this one. It is in an E-450 ambulance, so I will have to let it cool off before I check it out. The 1298 code has not returned on the KOEO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.