2001 7.3 Engine problems - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2007, 06:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2001 7.3 Engine problems

I have a 2001 ford f250. When I am driving down the interstate around 75mph or pulling a load the SES light comes on and the engine looses a lot of power and shifts funny. If I pull over and turn the engine off and then crank it right back up the SES light goes off and its like nothing ever happened. It does not happen driving around town. It is a 7.3 liter with 200,000. Any help would be greatly appreciated since 2,500 dollars later this problem still exhists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2007, 06:54 PM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

to Powerstroke.org. Post up your codes that will help us help you
Old 08-20-2007, 08:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Snap on scan tool says there are no codes. After researching I am guessing I need A scope on the injectors, CPS, new UVC harnesses. I have had a injector pressure switch, a new IDM and a new glow plug relay installed so far. I figure if I keep replacing stuff I'll get it right sooner or later, its just getting expensive
Old 08-21-2007, 06:46 PM

hmm

i would try replacing the temp sensor first 7.3 if the psm thinks the engine is getting to hot the back cylinders shut down and act as cooling pumps.

i had this problem about 1 1/2 years ago i replaced the temp sensor and the truck was good to go
Old 08-22-2007, 06:52 AM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

If your ses light is coming on you have codes. Is your truck stock?
Old 08-22-2007, 07:21 AM
ADMIN AND TECH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike42783 View Post
Snap on scan tool says there are no codes. After researching I am guessing I need A scope on the injectors, CPS, new UVC harnesses. I have had a injector pressure switch, a new IDM and a new glow plug relay installed so far. I figure if I keep replacing stuff I'll get it right sooner or later, its just getting expensive
first lesson learned with a diesel , dont just buy parts without proper diagnosis , and if the light is coming on you have to have codes , do you have a way to get codes puled with a different scanner
Old 08-22-2007, 12:25 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

We're Virginia residents traveling in Colorado. Last Saturday morning my '01 F250 started fine, but within two blocks it started sputtering and missing, it seemed to lose all ower. Ran fine on Friday. I took it to a local garage (not a Ford dealer). The mechanic pulled codes (sorry didn't get the specific codes) that indicated multiple open injectors on the left side. When he removed the valve cover, he found the plug was loose. He was going to order a new harness, but I did some research on this forum and read about the Ford wedges to secure the plug. They sell for ~$17, a lot less than the very expensive harness. I had him order two and do the right side too. I figured it might be ready to come loose as well. I was on the road for about $300 including parts.

I also ordered the FA 1759 AIS and will install it on Friday.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have the same power loss and wierd knocking but I dont have the SES light on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.