Time for Injectors? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2011, 06:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Time for Injectors?

Hi all, I've had this truck for about 3 months and its had this issue since I bought it. Its an '03 7.3 CCSB auto 4x4 w/ 130k on the odometer, a DIY 6637, and a stainless HPX line. The truck has a cold start miss. What I mean is if it sets overnight when I start it up the next morning there will be one (maybe 2) dead cylinders for a bit. It seems like one will come up pretty quickly if you let it idle for a bit (if it really is two dead cylinders). The other one usually waits to start working until you go to get on the highway and start to accelerate. When you are accelerating, you can feel that cylinder come on and then the truck seems to run pretty smooth/normal after that. On occasion I seem to notice a bit of a shake (pretty light) if I'm setting at a light or have it in park and rev it to about 1100 rpm to help the a/c out. I have never noticed any smoke of any kind coming out of the exhaust. I've tried hotshots secret and now revx (along w/ amsoil 5w40) and neither of them have cured this issue. When I first changed the oil to the 5w amsoil and revx the truck did sound MUCH better (smoother and quieter), but after pulling my 8k travel trailer on a 500 mile trip the injectors seem to sound worse to me than they did before (a lot more noisy even under acceleration). The truck was getting warm on the way up there and didn't seem to have much power either. I would also get a CEL when I seemed to be pushing it hard (relatively). If I backed off, the light would go out after a while until I was back pushing it a little in OD. I believe I could possibly have a boost leak and just need to replace my boots as well. I tried to clean them and reinstall them, but they look to be in need of replacement. which I'm imagining is the cause of the engine getting warm since there is no soot on the firewall or uppipes that I've noticed as of yet. I don't yet have guages or access to the AE to really see what is going on. I plan to get both, but that is going to have to wait until I can afford to purchase those. My dad has a little handheld scanner which I'm hoping to hook up to the truck and see if anything shows up, but I don't think I'll see anything since I had a shop check for codes when I had the a/c serviced when I noticed this happen once before and they didn't find anything.
Long story short I have some issues and would love some help trying to figure out what it could be and/or what to prepare for. I've done plenty of reading on here and have pulled possibilities from bad injector o-rings to bad hpop or injectors. any help would be greatly appreciated in both diagnosing and fixing this issue. Also sorry for the novel. I just wanted everyone to have the full picture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2011, 11:40 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
WOW thats long.... first of all i'd get a contribution test and see whats firing and whats not.. track down the injectors that are toast... my buds truck had the same prob except it ran like crap the whole time, he had 3 trashed injectors, we changed em and they're great...

your situation could sounds odd for that low of miles, unless they had crap fuel all the time your injectors should be okay.. but like said get the test, and it sure couldnt hurt changing the injector orings...

Replacement O-rings for Ford Diesel Engines has alot of great stuff for our trucks..
Old 08-15-2011, 02:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Is there a way to maybe pull the VC off and see if there is a bad o-ring? I keep thinking I would kick myself if it was bad o-rings and I spent the money to replace my injectors. Granted single shots are on my wishlist, but that is hopefully a ways out. Could a bad top o-ring cause the truck to act like it does when its cold? There is some blow-by on the truck as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.