Troubleshooting unknown engine problem - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2007, 05:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Troubleshooting unknown engine problem

My girlfriends father recently passed away it looks like we're inheriting his truck. It's a 1996 F-350 4x4 crewcab longbed with a 7.3. It hasn't been driven in almost a year and he was the only one that had any idea of what was wrong with it. A family member told me that it was an electrical issue of some sort. He lived in the middle of the desert by himself and had apparently given up on fixing it himself, and didn't have the money to get it fixed.

After some research in here it looks like the CPS, and the under-valve cover injector harnesses may be possible candidates. Is there a way to test these items to see if they are faulty? And can anyone think of anywhere else to start? I'd like to rule out anything major before putting money into it.

Thanks!

Dave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2007, 05:21 PM
Banned

What are the symptoms?? Im assuming a crank no start...

Check the Tach..if it registers its probably not the CPS...

There are two electrical connectors on each valve cover for that year...disconnect them and look for any burned pins on either connector...

Have you pulled any codes??

Any more info you can give us??
Old 08-15-2007, 05:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I haven't gotten to physically do anything with it yet. So thats all the info I have so far. I did also notice that he had the ignition switch apart and there are some cylinders laying on the dash so I'll have to get that fixed/back together first. Now that I think of it, someone did tell me that he had gotten it to turn over, but it wouldn't fire. As soon as I am able to work on it I'll have more info. but like I said, since he passed away, I don't even know where to start, any info. passed with him.

Last edited by evergreen12; 08-15-2007 at 05:53 PM.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:56 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

a reputable shop would be a good starting place for hands on work, after all this is a freebie, the truck is still worth a lil chunk of change if you sold it or if the work was more than you wanted to spend.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strőkër~X View Post
a reputable shop would be a good starting place for hands on work, after all this is a freebie, the truck is still worth a lil chunk of change if you sold it or if the work was more than you wanted to spend.
Problem is that the truck is ten miles from the nearest town down an unmaintained dirt road on top of a mountain served by a very long steep ungraded driveway that I can't tow it down or get a trailer big enough to haul it on up. Plus, I like turning wrenches anyway. It's going to have to make it out of there under it's own power, or I'm going to have to get a bulldozer and fix the road so a trailer can access it. I'd rather try to get it running. And you're right, being a freebie, It's definitely going to get it's share of attention moneywise, I just don't want to spend it unneccesarily.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:39 PM
Still Alive

Send a message via Skype™ to westcoaststrokin
Quote:
Originally Posted by evergreen12 View Post
Problem is that the truck is ten miles from the nearest town down an unmaintained dirt road on top of a mountain served by a very long steep ungraded driveway that I can't tow it down or get a trailer big enough to haul it on up. Plus, I like turning wrenches anyway. It's going to have to make it out of there under it's own power, or I'm going to have to get a bulldozer and fix the road so a trailer can access it. I'd rather try to get it running. And you're right, being a freebie, It's definitely going to get it's share of attention moneywise, I just don't want to spend it unneccesarily.
Where are you at? Maybe a couple of the members could help.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoaststrokin View Post
Where are you at? Maybe a couple of the members could help.
The truck is near Wickenburg Arizona, I live 15 miles from there in Circle City.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:59 PM
Still Alive

I figured that with a name like Evergreen you were up here in the NW. There are alot of great members down there also. Maybe one of them will chime in. Oh yeah to the ORG!!
Old 08-15-2007, 07:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoaststrokin View Post
I figured that with a name like Evergreen you were up here in the NW. There are alot of great members down there also. Maybe one of them will chime in. Oh yeah to the ORG!!
Actually, you're not far off, I used to live in Everett Washington.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:14 PM
Still Alive

Well at least I know that I know that my instincts haven't completely left me. Post more up about the truck when you figure it out and you might get more help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.