01 7.3 needs help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2011, 12:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
01 7.3 needs help

hi i ve been reading this fourm all weekend and now have to ask for assistance. just replaced my gpr and after having to completley remove the bracket rebuild, and installed a new 2nd gpr its sunday and had to get an autozone one to put in again the terminal twisted right out before the nut made it to the bottom. third on was the charm

any ways its is now and on the truck when going to start i hear a loud clickin like the bats. dead but they arent, i tested and are fine

but the instrument panel also flashes and flickers

oil changed with in last 6 weeks and fuel filter aroung the same time

any thoughs or help i need it. everyone seems to be very insightfull here so thankyou in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2011, 02:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

put on the bat charger let sit for 1hr and started on the third try still tuff but started this seems to happen if the truck sits one day and dosen't run the clicking is from under the dash some where, and dont know how to atempt to start looking for that. by the way what is the bigger looking "gpr" next to the real gpr run?
Old 08-07-2011, 03:27 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The second solenoid is for the Intake Heater, it Rarely comes on and when it does, has No effect on starting. Neither does the GPR, incidentally, in these temps so I don't think it has anything to do with your no-start.....

The "Loud Click" you here, you need to find where it's coming from. Get someone to roll the key while you have your hand on the starter, it could be as simple as a bad starter.

The clicking you hear from under the dash, here too putting your hand on stuff will help. Remove the cover from the fuse box and feel all the relays there (one of them is for the starter as well as lots of other stuff) and if you find a relay clicking you can look in the Owners Manual to find what it's for.

You can have a bad ground or supply that is effecting all that stuff. This is going to sound strange,,, but do you have a factory Trans Temp Gauge on the instrument cluster?

Check ALL the battery ends, both sides, they should be cleaned, scraped, and greased.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I dont either but I had the part since turkey season so I thought I would put it in and I'm wanting to check on the rest of the gp system. The truck was extremly hard to start this winter if it was not plugged in it was a now go but if it was pluggin in for 1/2 hr. it would start with out the glow plugs. I dont think that the gpr was the problem either just trying to get that bugworked out prior to this coming winter.

As to the clicking i ment to say it was only from under the dash and it seemed to be coming from everywhere but i will start feeling for it like you have said

No the wiring is 99.5 to 2001.5, so no trans temp. I just had it on a machine a few days ago and it said something of the sort about an air bag code (no ces light) about a "air bag short to ground " (I'm not 100% sure what the excat code said) but he has not got back to me to let me know the details about it .Wiring is my weak point so other than the main ground under the pass. side on the frame I wouldn't be sure where to start

I did just have all of the bat. terms. off cleaned but I've never heard of lubing them what do you recomend

Thanks again and will report back with what ever new news I find
Old 08-11-2011, 09:50 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

as for the clicking i cant seem to narrow it down in the cab everything seems to jump when it clicks but mainly seems to be in the fuse box all of the fuses are good is there anyway to check the relays?, or is that normal for them to do that never had a problem with one.

after the new carquest gpr was put on it makes a loud clicking noise some times is that normal as per the truck it seems to start up fine now just to test it its gonna sit all day friday and sat to see what happens the stan core is gonna go on i a few weeks
Old 08-11-2011, 12:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
While I'm not sure whatever IS clicking is the problem or a symptom, but knowing which relay it is might help...

If you can't tell by putting your finger on each one in the fuse box, maybe unplug them one at a time 'till it stops

The best way to test a relay is to just replace it with another (they're kinda standard) and if you find the one you think might be bad you can just swap with another. Look in the Owners Manual for what they all are for.

Also, the grease in the terminals are just to retard future corrosion & oxidation some, so, you can use anything really....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.