early 99 hard start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2011, 01:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
early 99 hard start

i just bought a 99 f250 at copart with 169k on it....was wrecked lightly in the right front, not that bad though....anyway, i got it fixed and am having trouble starting it....turn the key on, light comes on and goes out like it should(i'm not new to these trucks), crank it over and it just wont start..cranks for 10 to 15 seconds and it will finally start if you hold your foot on the accelorator(not sure if that actually helped or not)..when it starts, it runs fine, no romp or smoke...where do i need to start? batteries seem to be up to par as it cranks like crazy...i have another 99 with a hole in the piston/blowby like a freight train and it starts better than this one its also 98+ degrees outside here so i'm thinking it shouldn't have any trouble at all starting....after it starts, let it run for alittle while and shut it off...go to start it again and its the same thing again....you would think if it was fuel bowl draining out or hpop res not full(after sitting) it would start right back up after just shutting it off
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2011, 02:58 PM

I have an early 99 F350 w/ 7.3L Powerstroke. I assume yours is the same. You didn't say. I have had my truck since March. It has 197K on it. Starts like a charm. It sounds to me as if the glow plugs are getting weak. But its warm out so that may not be it at all. The other direction would be the high pressure pump output. perhaps the fuel filter is clogged. Its on top of the engine in the valley. In order for these engines to start they need to produce high enough pressure in the High press pump to inject fuel into the cylinders. So you turn on the ign. which starts the electric fuel pump between the tank and engine (among other things). This feeds the high pressure pump which is mechanically connected to the crankshaft. It will not work until the engine is turning over fast enough to produce the need psi.

I learned tons on these trucks by this website and also POWERSTROKEHELP.COM - The Information Source for Ford Power Stroke Diesel Owners & Mechanics and Home of EDASŪ "Engine Damage Avoidance System" for Powerstroke Diesel Trucks some folks on here don't like this guy but I found the videos he has very enlightening.

Good luck.
Old 08-06-2011, 06:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

update, i checked the hpop res and it was right where it needs to be, checked the fuel filter and it was full also....i cranked it without touching the gas and it cranked for along time but finally started. let it run for about a min and shut it off, cranked it again and it started pretty good/fast but still didnt start/sound as good as my other 99 with the blown piston
Old 08-07-2011, 03:20 AM

A diesel will never start like a gasser. A full fuel filter canister does not mean the delivery is right. Take off the inlet line and put it in a jar or something then turn on the key to see if the flow is good. Its a very rough test but would give you an idea of how much fuel is being delivered to the hpop. Mine turns over for a 2-3 seconds before it starts every time. Never will it be like a gasser that seems to start with just a touch on the starter. Its just how a diesel works.
I just reread your original post 10- 15 seconds is way too long. If its your hpop its going to be big $'s.

If you are a do-it-yourselfer then I suggest this
POWERSTROKEHELP.COM - The Information Source for Ford Power Stroke Diesel Owners

He sells videos on what to look for in no start situation. IF/When I have trouble with my truck I am going to start here
Old 08-07-2011, 04:39 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Ok let's see here first I thought that fuel pumps are cam driven not crank driven and the 7.3l and 6.0 use heui injection which is oil runs through electronic injectors. So with that also with the glow plugs they are not going to affect your starting unless its cold your thinking an idi such has a pre combustion chamber and need glow plugs. You said when it does start there is no smoke hmmm how is your oil if its clogged it will take injectors a long time to fire and codes popping also which light are you talking bout that goes out comes on and goes out come on again
Old 08-07-2011, 04:42 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Pull your icp sensor and see if it starts and runs better also check and see if there us oil on the plug
Old 08-07-2011, 05:07 AM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin2011 View Post
I have an early 99 F350 w/ 7.3L Powerstroke. I assume yours is the same. You didn't say. I have had my truck since March. It has 197K on it. Starts like a charm. It sounds to me as if the glow plugs are getting weak. But its warm out so that may not be it at all. The other direction would be the high pressure pump output. perhaps the fuel filter is clogged. Its on top of the engine in the valley. In order for these engines to start they need to produce high enough pressure in the High press pump to inject fuel into the cylinders. So you turn on the ign. which starts the electric fuel pump between the tank and engine (among other things). This feeds the high pressure pump which is mechanically connected to the crankshaft. It will not work until the engine is turning over fast enough to produce the need psi.

I learned tons on these trucks by this website and also POWERSTROKEHELP.COM - The Information Source for Ford Power Stroke Diesel Owners & Mechanics and Home of EDASŪ "Engine Damage Avoidance System" for Powerstroke Diesel Trucks some folks on here don't like this guy but I found the videos he has very enlightening.

Good luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin2011 View Post
A diesel will never start like a gasser. A full fuel filter canister does not mean the delivery is right. Take off the inlet line and put it in a jar or something then turn on the key to see if the flow is good. Its a very rough test but would give you an idea of how much fuel is being delivered to the hpop. Mine turns over for a 2-3 seconds before it starts every time. Never will it be like a gasser that seems to start with just a touch on the starter. Its just how a diesel works.
I just reread your original post 10- 15 seconds is way too long. If its your hpop its going to be big $'s.

If you are a do-it-yourselfer then I suggest this
POWERSTROKEHELP.COM - The Information Source for Ford Power Stroke Diesel Owners

He sells videos on what to look for in no start situation. IF/When I have trouble with my truck I am going to start here
Quote:
Originally Posted by usnavyad View Post
Ok let's see here first I thought that fuel pumps are cam driven not crank driven and the 7.3l and 6.0 use heui injection which is oil runs through electronic injectors. So with that also with the glow plugs they are not going to affect your starting unless its cold your thinking an idi such has a pre combustion chamber and need glow plugs. You said when it does start there is no smoke hmmm how is your oil if its clogged it will take injectors a long time to fire and codes popping also which light are you talking bout that goes out comes on and goes out come on again
Quote:
Originally Posted by usnavyad View Post
Pull your icp sensor and see if it starts and runs better also check and see if there us oil on the plug

OK, first off, the fuel pump on the rail, electrically driven, not crank driven; of the truck provides around 50-60 psi of fuel to the fuel bowl, on top pf the engine, and it has a regulatoor on the return line back to the tank.....

the low pressure(engine) oil pump) is crank driven, and provides oil for the engine and the resivior of the high pressure pump.

the HPOP(high pres. pump) provides 500 PSI of cranking oil pressure to the injector plungers to open them up to fire fuel into the cylinders. when running and under load, the HPOP provides 2000-3000PSI of pressure to the injectors.

pull the ICP wire plug, on the drivers side front of the head, and see if it runs. its a sensor thats screwed into the top of the front of the head. white plug. you can unscrew it and see if theres oil in it... could be IPR, which is the regulator for the HPOP. if its stuck closed it wont open.

how is your fuel filter? needs to be changed at least every 10k miles. I do mine on every oil change. (5k)
you can unscrew the fuel bowl top, and either drain out the fuel in it by the yellow handled valve on the back of it or by sucking fuel out of it. put top on, and cycle key. see if the pump fills the bowl.

thats a good place to start...
Old 08-07-2011, 04:09 PM

Thanks for setting things straight HVAC SuperTech. I'm a HVAC tech too...

Isn't there a safety in there that does not allow the engine to run if the engine oil is low? Perhaps (allbeit dopey) check the dipstick to see if the oil is low.

Thanks for your service USNAVYAD!!! great truck. Mine was a company truck which had a power liftgate (now removed) so they added an extra leaf spring in the back. Its a bit jacked up in back.

Mine just turned 198K
Old 08-07-2011, 06:28 PM
COME ON...ONE TIME!!

Yes, if the engine oil is too low(not showing on the dipstick) then the truck wont run. Thats the safety. If theres not enough oil, then the hpop wont have enough pressure to open the injectors.

Sent from my Acer Android Tablet
Old 08-07-2011, 06:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

checked the oil and it was just down to the add mark so i dont think thats the problem...is there any way to check the hpop?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.