2001 7.3 momentary whine prior to start from engine compartment what is it? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2011, 09:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2001 7.3 momentary whine prior to start from engine compartment what is it?

Have had this 2001 Powerstroke since new. No real problems. Buddies truck started this high pitched whine when you turn the key on and then goes away pretty quickly. Mine started it today. They both only do it intermittently and we have no performance loss. This all happens prior to start and only whines for approx. 5 seconds.
What do ya'll think?
Whine comes from under the hood.
Thanks,
Andy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2011, 10:38 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Vacuum pump? They can get noisy when they get old.. lol
Old 08-06-2011, 01:49 AM
Real Men of Genius

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Are you talking like a belt squeal kinda whine? Or something different?
Old 08-06-2011, 01:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Key on but the engine is not turning. As soon as you turn the key to lets say accessory position a buzzing/whine sound comes for the engine compartment. It stays on for approx 5 seconds and then goes off. It may be more of a squealing whine than a buzz be its hard to explain in text.
Thanks,
Andy
Old 08-06-2011, 02:30 PM
Real Men of Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by farsrr View Post
Key on but the engine is not turning. As soon as you turn the key to lets say accessory position a buzzing/whine sound comes for the engine compartment. It stays on for approx 5 seconds and then goes off. It may be more of a squealing whine than a buzz be its hard to explain in text.
Thanks,
Andy
Okay... this is gonna sound dumb, but are you talking about the glow plugs? If so, that sound is normal. Its the glow plugs warming up.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Glow plugs making a whining / sqealing sound? I'm afraid Ive never heard that. I did find a TSB that mentions a whining or buzz and refers to a fuel regulator. I will do some research on both.
Thanks,
Andy
Old 08-07-2011, 06:28 AM

Mine does it too. I've always attributed it to the fuel flowing through the filter/regulator assy when the pump kicks on.

Is there a plan of action for the TSB or does it say its a charecterisitc of the vehicle?
Old 08-07-2011, 08:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The TSB is 98-17-16. It states that some may experience a buzzing noise from the fuel pressure regulator with key on engine off during fuel pemp cycling. It is caused by low fuel pressure due to the fuel pressure regulator seal (o-ring) splitting.
The Action is to replace the fuel pressure regulator with a revised Fuel pressure regulator valve part number (F81Z-9B249-BB). But I was not sure of the exact location of that regulator and have not put my finger on the location of the noise on my truck because it doesnt do it all the time. Was just hoping some other guys may have experienced this so we could get to the bottom of it. I figured since my buddies truck does it and then mine started, must be a common issue.
Thanks for the reply,
Andy
Old 08-07-2011, 10:02 AM
Real Men of Genius

Oh... this is my first diesel and both mine and my roommate's diesel did this. I was told that it was the glow plugs and took their word for it. I guess I'll have to do some digging myself. The noise coming from the fuel pressure regulator would make more sense...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.