Tic from Scored Cylinder? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2011, 03:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tic from Scored Cylinder?

Truck was kind of making tic noise. Would increase with throttle, all though hard to hear over motor. Had the local diesel guy have a listen and he thought injector. Left it there for him to check while I was gone and now he is telling me it is a scored #2 cylinder. Does this sound right? Truck isn't burning oil, doesn't smoke, not sure if he did a compression test. If it is bad what option sounds best: rebuild my motor or have him swap it for a re-manufactured. Only has 145,000 on it, I have only put 5,000 on it, it is my first diesel. What should this cost ball park. Who does got remaned work
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2011, 08:55 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'd definitely get a second opinion, and ask how he figured out it was a scored cylinder. If he gets grumpy, I'd find another mechanic.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

That is what I was thinking, I already made some calls to other places today. I'm going over Saturday to look at this "scored" cylinder. He better not have it buttoned up. I think either way it is leaving.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:47 PM

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Unless he has a boroscope, and pulled all the glow plugs and checked every cylinder, that diagnosis is suspect. Can you be more specific on the noise it's making?
Old 08-05-2011, 02:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Nope. He said first thought by listening to run was it was an injector, so he pulled the valve covers and found only one replaced injector #2 cylinder. He then pulled the head and discovered scored #2 cylinder. He told me that it was pretty seriously scored, this is all by phone though. I left it there while I was on vacation. I am going to head over there and tell him I want to see. I would have thought if it was a bad as he claims it may be smoking, burning some oil but I have none of that. Also, suspicious is when I talk about fixing it he really isn't interested in rebuilding what I have he is trying to push a different motor on me. As for the sound, hard to describe in words. You can hear it better from under the fender wells back can't really determine which side is louder. The noise is loudest when the truck first starts and quiets out some but never goes away and is worse when it is cold outside.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:42 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4man47 View Post
Nope. He said first thought by listening to run was it was an injector, so he pulled the valve covers and found only one replaced injector #2 cylinder. He then pulled the head and discovered scored #2 cylinder. He told me that it was pretty seriously scored, this is all by phone though. I left it there while I was on vacation. I am going to head over there and tell him I want to see. I would have thought if it was a bad as he claims it may be smoking, burning some oil but I have none of that. Also, suspicious is when I talk about fixing it he really isn't interested in rebuilding what I have he is trying to push a different motor on me. As for the sound, hard to describe in words. You can hear it better from under the fender wells back can't really determine which side is louder. The noise is loudest when the truck first starts and quiets out some but never goes away and is worse when it is cold outside.
If he pulled the head then the evidence should be pretty obvious. Curious why he wouldn't have done a compression test though.....

You only had a "ticking" noise? Not more like a miss? Just curious how it got pinpointed to the #2 cylinder. More then likely he did a cylinder contribution test and it showed #2, but it would have had to have a decent miss to find this. After he replaced the injector he should have done the compression test and figured out it had low compression before ripping it apart. Now your stuck with a non running truck.

If it really is scored I'm not to suprised that he doesn't want to rebuild it. Alot of shops don't have the time/capibilities/knowledge to do a complete overhaul. Most places will want to swing in a junkyard engine or a reman from somewhere. Honestly this is much easier for most shops. If a shop rebuilds an engine and something goes wrong, their to blame. If you just throw some other engine in it and it screws up it's not thier fault....
Old 08-05-2011, 03:50 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4man47 View Post
It wasn't smoking/missing at all?! Nothing against you, but I've had people that have had a pretty good miss and not realized it. They just thought it was rough because is was a diesel.

What gets me here though is that I could see it missing/ticking and you not noticing it if it was more of an injector electrical issue, but if the injector was fine and it was ticking from low compression you should have had some rather heavy white smoking going on. Spraying fuel into a cylinder with low compression would create white smoking, white smoke is usually from unburned fuel.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yeah, this is my first diesel so I could see where maybe I may miss that it could be missing. There was no smoke though and really didn't feel like it was running rough at all. As for the injector, he didn't replace it. It had already been replaced by the owner before me, it was the only one. That why the mechanic told me he decided to pull the head, because only the #2 injector was different. It must have been an attempt to fix the problem and didn't work so they put heavy oil in it and sold it. That's the mechanics theory.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:57 PM

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
I guess that makes a little more sense (as to why he pulled the head) however scoring generally causes smoking/blowby/rough running more so than an audible noise-I would have guessed a bent pushrod or valve-Generally it is either 1, or 8 that shows the most wear from foreign contaminants. I'd like to see some pictures. Even if the cylinder is scored, I'd make sure to thoroughly inspect everything else before reassembly. Sounds like that might not be your only issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.