Losing power - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2011, 05:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Losing power

Just bought an '03 7.3 F250 with 67,000 miles..guy just put on a new alternator, 2 new batteries, new starter, new fuel filter and new fuel pump. Drove the truck about 100 miles, no problems. Went on a 260 mile round trip this weekend and about 140 miles into the trip, punched the truck down to get on the freeway. Everything worked good until about 60 mph, then truck died down. Let off the pedal, eased back into it and the truck ran good...punch it down and shortly after turbo kicks in, the truck starts to die down/lose power. The turbo seems to be working okay. The guy said the truck sat for 2 years before I bought it. I think I see a bit of algae on the fuel filter and the filter is new. Any thoughts/suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2011, 11:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I'm not 100% sure since diesels are kinda new to me, but it sounds like you need to get something to treat the alge at a minimum. Probably the best thing to do would be to drain and drop the tank, flush the fuel lines, perform the hutch and harpoon mods if you desire after cleaning your tank, change the filter again, and then starting with a fresh tank of fuel w/ a treatment in it. If you had access to fuel pressure guages, you could learn more about the issue. I would think that it does sound like it's not getting enough fuel. Could be that the new fuel pump is either bad or the mixing chamber in the tank is clogged up from the stuff in the tank. Hopefully, I'm pointing you in the right direction. Maybe someone else who is more experienced than I can confirm or point you in the right direction. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.