oil leak at intercooler - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2005, 11:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation oil leak at intercooler

I have a 2000 F-450 w/powerstroke. When I was doing service on it and I saw it had a minor oil leak coming from the passenger side intercooler hose. I know I should expect some oil lose, but how much should I expect?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2005, 02:22 PM

I am still pretty new to this Stroker motor. I too see oil on both supply and return tubes to/ from the intercooler. Although I am not certain, I suspect that it is coming from whatever positive crankcase ventilation device is used in these things. The oil is black like engine oil. There is no oil that I am aware of at the intercoolder, just air. For now, I am wiping mine tubing off, assuming this is normal. I am willing to hear any other thoughts.
Old 10-10-2005, 02:23 PM

I am still pretty new to this Stroker motor. I too see oil on both supply and return tubes to/ from the intercooler. Although I am not certain, I suspect that it is coming from whatever positive crankcase ventilation device is used in these things. The oil is black like engine oil. There is no oil that I am aware of at the intercoolder, just air. For now, I am wiping my tubing off, assuming this is normal. I am willing to hear any other thoughts.
Old 10-10-2005, 04:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiwaniuk
I am still pretty new to this Stroker motor. I too see oil on both supply and return tubes to/ from the intercooler. Although I am not certain, I suspect that it is coming from whatever positive crankcase ventilation device is used in these things. The oil is black like engine oil. There is no oil that I am aware of at the intercoolder, just air. For now, I am wiping my tubing off, assuming this is normal. I am willing to hear any other thoughts.
The above post is correct about the crank case ventilation allowing oil to enter the intercooler. This is normal. Some guys perform a "CCV mod" as it is referred to on the forums which allows the crank case to ventilate into the environment instead of back into the intercooler.

What you describe though may also be a loose CAC hose if it's on the passenger side. Mine was leaking ('00 PSD) and would leave a few drops of oil on the garage floor when parked. Here's the procedure for replacing it -- takes about an hour.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

erlong,
I got the same problem.I notice the other day that I had oil spots on the drive.I noticed that on the intercooler before the turbo the it was wet with oil.It was dripping down the running down the back of the block.Its not alot but its enough.So I was wondering if you or anyone else might a have a solution.Thanks,Kelly
Old 05-30-2006, 04:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Just picked up a 2000 ford today and the guy I got it from said he thought the turbo was going out because it drops some oil out the intercoler line. It is black oil. What causes this and could the turbo be going out. The truck has 106000 miles on it?
Thanks
Old 05-30-2006, 05:15 PM
Power Strokeaholic

most likely the turbo is fine. it's very common for oil to seep out of the hose's(boot's) to the I/C. your best bet is to replace the boots with some from black cloud or see if discount power part's has them. the oil is from the crank case vent. like was said above, some guy's do the ccv mod to remedy this problem. it could lead to blown I/C boot's and a huge loss in power and boost leak's. hope that help's.
Old 06-02-2006, 02:52 PM
Banned

there is ALWAYS oil in the CAC system, and seepage (meaning dust collects on it, its not puddling) is normal. if its leaking worse, tighten the clamps, but dont overtighten as they stripp easily..........Marc
Old 10-18-2011, 05:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

CCV Mod

I decided I was tired of the oil in my intercooler so I "built" a filter system for the crank case air. I bought an irrigation filter at Lowes or The Home Depot for about $25.00. It as a clear polycarbonate basin and a stainless steel screen. A couple of 3/4" 90 degree threaded/barbed hose ends and about 8 feet of 3/4" fuel hose and you're in business. I built a bracket to hold my filter by using a couple of pieces of pre-punch angle (also available at HD or Lowes) and I cut a couple of slits in them using a skinny-wheel angle grinder. I then slipped a couple of hose-clamps through the slits and bolted the pre-punch bracket to one of the running board mounts using existing bolts and holes. Of course, I flipped the CCV vent 180 degrees to make room for the hose connections and replaced the very expanded gaskets (available at Napa Auto Parts for about $6.00). A few copper elbows were used to make bends in the straight hose. I routed the hose from the top of the valve cover, down through the filter then back up to the stock location on the intake tube. Inside of the filter, I cut a green scotch-brite scouring pad to act as a fine-particle filter. It works pretty well but does not stop all of the oil ( I STILL get oil in my intercooler !!). After a few hundred miles, the filter basin had about 1" of oil in it so I know it's at least helping. If you would like more pictures, I can get them. In all, I think I was into this mod about $40.00 and because I'm not just dumping to the atmosphere, I'm still legal.
Old 10-23-2011, 01:08 PM
Premium Member

I like that one. I did the same thing. It is very important not to allow the hoses going to and from the filter to have a dipping point, otherwise an oil puddle will accumulate and restrict vapor flow. See my post below for how I set mine up. I think my filter is too big, but it is what I had on hand at the time. I hated oil getting all over my boots. I have a '97, and the way the boots are set up, oil drips down into the valley and makes it look like there is a fuel leak or a valve cover leak. Now with my mod, boots are clean and no oil drips anywhere. I wish I saw one of those smaller filters at OSH when I was there...

Closed System CCV Mod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.