02 once started has issues restarting - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2011, 04:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Post 02 once started has issues restarting

i have a 2002 7.3 liter that once the engine warms up and you shut it off and restart it , it wont restart or takes a while restarting. is slowly getting worse as time goes on. mechanic fist said that fords take a while to start to build up oil pressure. but now it is a good 8 -12 seconds to start.

also when i am driving down the road and goto pass another vehicle it will kick the check engine light on and it would go off about 5 - 10 minutes later. but now when i pass it is staying on and will stay on till the truck is shut off.

vehicle doesnt seem to lack any power though once you get it running. on cold starts it starts great.

i have changed the starting injector i think it is the number 8. i have changed the fuel filter, air filter, and oil and oil filter. i have changed the ipr and some sensor now. please help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2011, 06:42 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
So, let me get this straight,,,,, you have had an SES light come on several times.

To try to solve the engines issues you've been installing different parts (injector, IPR, sensors, etc.) as a "crap-shoot" hoping to hit the right problem part instead of scanning the computer for codes to tell you what was wrong? -really?

Come On, your truck's trying to point you in the right direction, you just have to listen to it!

btw, there's no such thing as a "Starting Injector"
Old 07-27-2011, 07:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

starting issue

NO i have brought it in and it keeps giving me different codes each time i leave the shop about a day later. so i have been replacing what it has been telling me to..i am not blindly replacing parts.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:24 AM

OK, Sorry...., You should include the codes you're getting because they really Are an indication of what's going on. You have Fuel related codes mostly?

Who are you taking it to (Ford? / Independent? / Friend?) and are you sure they have the right equipment to retrieve codes from our trucks?

Your mechanic sounds misinformed about Fords, they Do Not take time to build up pressure when all's right. A good scanner will tell him exactly what those pressures are when cranking hot.

The main thing that happens, that's different between a warm & cold engine, is the thickness of the oil. So, if you've got High Pressure issues they will be exaggerated with the thinner (hot) oil. But, again, the right equipment should diagnose that quickly.

Next, how about some information on your truck. Miles, Mods, what weight oil did you use, etc.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i have forgotten the codes but i know the high pressure pump has been a code that keeps popping up and they have checked the pressure for that and it seems to be inrange so they have replaced a few other things. that i have mentioned. my vehicle is a 2002 for F350 7.3 liter with a 100300 miles on it. it is all stock that i am aware of. i am bringing it to a local diesel shop that has been recommended by a lot of people for the diesel work. but i did bring it to ford and they said they wanted to replace the high pressure pump and so i did some asking around and i got recommened to this other shop and now hear i sit. i have brought it to tires plus since i have gotten it and have had them change the oil..i know this shop has been concerend about the oil they have been putting in. do you think that this could be my issue is just the oil..but would that also kick on my service engine light when passing a vehicle. i could maybe see the starting part but not the passing a vehicle.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:48 AM

I don't think Any oil would give you the problems you have. If you said you were using a Synthetic "0" wt, it could be an early indication of HPO problems.

Sounds like you're making a good move by having someone else look at it, sounds like the last guy didn't know what he was doing

I guess I just take for granted that everybody's got the right tools, if it were me, I'd just connect my scanner, start the Record, kick-down into passing gear and review what tripped the SES

Hopefully the new guy can do just that!
Old 07-27-2011, 01:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

any idea where a guy can get there own scan tool or are they pretty spend to have . would be nice to keep a record like you said of my own before i run it in to the shop.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:17 PM

We're all big fans of the AutoEnginuity

With the "Enhanced" Ford package, it'll run you under $400 (if you have other GM/Chry vehicles look at the "Big-3" package for @$700) you supply an old computer to run it.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:32 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Sounds like you have an high pressure oil leak going on. Of course, codes would help with this. I'm assuming you probably had a p1211 ICP above below desired. Some things that can cause this is poor low oil supply, HPOP, IPR, ICP, or injector o-ring issues. It could be mis-diagnosed as a HPOP, ICP, or IPR issue, but I don't think that's your problem.

It sounds to me like you have an injector o-ring that's leaking off high pressure oil pressure, or as Ford calls it, ICP(injection control pressure). With a good scan tool you could tell this by monitering ICP pressure when you're having the issue. The code is probably logging when you try and pass someone because your flooring it, and it's calling for a high amount of ICP. Seeing as something is leaking off it can't keep up with ICP demands. This is also probably causing your hard start issues. As the oil heats up and thins out, it's bleeding off at a higher rate and the HPOP can't overcome the leak. If you let it cool down and the oil thickens up, the leak isn't as bad and it will start.

Have someone check your codes and record them, and moniter ICP pressure during cranking when it won't start. You need 500 psi for it to start. I'll bet this is where you find the issue.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ok thank you . i am getting a code reader. so i can keep track of this stuff along with the dealer/mechanic, so i am not completely in the dark anymore. i just got it back and they replaced a sock in my gas tank and that did nothing. so i am trying to find another mechanic to work on it. what are your guys thoughts on going to a dealer or another idependent contractor ????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.