DTC-01#P1316 and DTC-02#P0603 codes - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2011, 02:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
DTC-01#P1316 and DTC-02#P0603 codes

My problem started out as a bad miss with a loss of power The 2 codes I got were read from my Superchip scanner I got DCT-01 #P1316 and DTC-02#0603.
Researching this I tried the cheap fix first which was replacing the plastic clips under the valve covers ( part # 2C3Z14A163-AB ) This worked for two days as it seems the under valve cover wires wore shorting out. NOW here is my new problem I am getting the same codes again but the "service engine light does not come on until the truck gets up to operating temp. also the miss is not as bad as it was before. when it cools off the service engine light goes off until up to operating temperature. My truck is a 2001 with 189k miles on it.
Anyone got any ideas, this is my first 7.3 powerstroke but I bleed Ford blue.
Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2011, 03:20 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
First, ignore the 0603 it just means the PCM went unpowered some time ago (like when you disconnect the batteries or pull the PCM or it's fuse)

As for the 1316, you've done the easy thing with the UVCH plug - that's good is there anyway you can get a "buzz test" done to see it those connections are still OK?

Next, if it's not those connectors, things get a bit stickier ....

Here's the basics -> "P1316, P1282, P1211 on Ford Powerstroke Diesel
Owners report trouble codes P1316, P1282, P1211 on Ford Powerstroke Diesel along with skipping or misfire symptoms. Install a scan tool to read the “duty cycle” specs for the Injection Pressure Regulator (IPR) and the Injection Control Pressure (ICP) sensor. The high pressure oil pump is capable of putting out more than 3,000psi. But the IPR regulates the amount of pressure with a solenoid that is pulsed open and closed by the PCM. The PCM reads the oil pressure from the ICP and commands the IPR on and off. The IPR can regulate 3,000psi with only a 12% duty cycle. So you should check both the ICP and IPR readings on the scan tool. If the psi reading on the ICP goes up while the IPR duty cycle goes down (12% or lower), that indicates a faulty or sticking IPR. The reason is that the PCM can no longer shut down the duty cycle enough to properly regulate the oil pressure. The IPR has a reasonably high failure rate."

You need a good scanner though, I don't think the Superchips is gonna tow-the-line here.

Could also be an IDM issue, look for water in the module or plug (IDM is behind the plastic fenderwell up high behind the F?50 emblem on the drivers side ft. fender)
Old 07-22-2011, 06:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thanks NoRalph I figured I might need to get someone with a better scanner to go over it. Can you explain the buzz-test briefly .
Old 07-23-2011, 05:34 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
A buzz-test is the common way to test each injectors "action" by cycling them, one at a time, so you can listen to them and determine two things.

One is weather they're getting power at all (like from a bad harness/plug), the other is that they each have a similar sound (you can actually hear a "bad" one buzz differently than the others)

Any of the good diesel scanners will do a buzz test for you and quickly determine if the connections are still good. You need to find somebody with an Autoenginuity, Snap-On, Ford, or other professional scanner. It should also be able to monitor the ICP / IPR values.

Last edited by NoRalPh; 07-23-2011 at 05:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.