Truck acting like its out fo fuel... Need help please. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2011, 05:08 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to spdjnky_42
Truck acting like its out fo fuel... Need help please.

My 02 F250, 7.3L 153K miles, starting acting like it was running out of fuel on the freeway today. It will run if you let it catch up but as soon as you hit the gas to climb a steep hill it starts cutting out and loses power. I put it on the high tech software and it read like 470-490 for the pressure at idle <<<sorry new to me. It fills the bowl if you turn the key forward and I changed the filter even though the old one wasnt that old. I open the water seperator a few times but nothing seems to help. Code that came up was p1211. My dad suggested maybe the fuel pressure switch???? ANy help is greatly appreciated. Some blus smoke when its about to die but nothing major and only does it when you hit the throttle. Definetly has diesel in it BTW. Also has a SCT tuner on the 80 hp setting. TIA

Last edited by spdjnky_42; 07-19-2011 at 05:15 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2011, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdjnky_42 View Post
My 02 F250, 7.3L 153K miles, starting acting like it was running out of fuel on the freeway today. It will run if you let it catch up but as soon as you hit the gas to climb a steep hill it starts cutting out and loses power. I put it on the high tech software and it read like 470-490 for the pressure at idle <<<sorry new to me. It fills the bowl if you turn the key forward and I changed the filter even though the old one wasnt that old. I open the water seperator a few times but nothing seems to help. Code that came up was p1211. My dad suggested maybe the fuel pressure switch???? ANy help is greatly appreciated. Some blus smoke when its about to die but nothing major and only does it when you hit the throttle. Definetly has diesel in it BTW. Also has a SCT tuner on the 80 hp setting. TIA
Also oil is full and clean. The op gauge also reads normal.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:10 PM

After further reading looks like my dad may be right Im thinking IPR or icp sensor. I did notice a fuel smell a few weeks ago and could see some fuel sitting in the valley between the heads. Also, noticed that the long crank when warm got worse the other day.

I would like to hear some info from you guys before buying any of these expensive parts.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:34 PM
Banned

Have you changed out the CPS? It causes similar symptoms and is a known cause of ALLOT of problems.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have a friend who's truck always throws the P1211 because his stock HPOP can't keep up with the demands of his 85 HP tuning. In his case he has extra smoke WOT and can ignore the 1211 until he comes up with the finances to mod his HPOP. Since you're having problems I wouldn't ignore it though. It means the injection control pressure was/is high or low. If the oil is full and in good shape check the intake hoses and boost tube clamps/boots. Check the IPR for loose electrical connections. I wouldn't think the fuel in the valley has anything to do with the IPR or ICP, more likely the drain valve o-rings or it spilled there while changing the fuel filter/draining the water separator. I would focus on the fuel leak next. Beyond that, I would go to my mechanic because his high tech software isn't new to him and he only charge $40 to run diagnostics. The IPR valve could be clogged or damaged. The HPOP or PCM could be going bad. I even had similar symptoms on my 97 when the injector o-rings were going bad. See what their tests show and go from there.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:25 PM

Truck still does it after reseting computer. Tried to do an injector buzz test today gave a hard fault. CPS was changed for the recall. I have no idea how long ago. Checked with the dealer they said it was done but I forgot the date. Truck will run to 45 mph but then as soon as it needs the extra fuel it slowly breaks down. If you let it catch up its good until next hill.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:42 PM
Powerstroke Techie

You need to actually check fuel pressure. Rig up a fuel pressure gauge then go for a road test. The fuel pressure should be around 60 or greater at idle, and should never really go beneath 45 under a hard pull. Just because it's filling the fuel bowl doesn't mean you have good pressure. You can have good fuel flow, but not good pressure. The fuel pressure regulator could be goofing up or maybe it's sucking air. You need to check it under load with an actual gauge though.

If this checks out I would look at the 1211 code. 1211 is for ICP above/below desired. What it basically means is that the computer is trying to achieve a desired ICP level, and for some reason it can't make it, or it's fluctuating to much. This can be from a few things, like poor low oil supply, biased ICP sensor, weak HPOP, or what I find the most is an IPR issue. Try pulling the chip out and seeing if it does the same thing.

An 80HP tune shouldn't be causing an issue unless you have something goofy going on.

Does it throw the check engine light when it acts up? Have you tried clearing the 1211 code and seeing if it comes back? The symptoms you described sound like a fuel pressure issue, however the code points more to a high pressure oil issue.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:41 AM

They are putting a gauge on it as we speak. Im leaning toward the ipr but they are leaning toward a stuck injector. Guess we will see. Hopefully its the #8 inj went. Then I can upgrade to the fix for the lack of fuel back there and not here it from the ol lady
Old 07-22-2011, 10:49 AM

Diagnosis is fuel pressure reg.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.