Turbo whistle flutter - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-12-2011, 09:19 AM
Premium Member
 

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Odessa, Tx.
Posts: 24
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Turbo whistle flutter

So my wife took my truck to the store the other day and I noticed as she drove down the street (light throttle) the whistle from the turbo didn't sound smooth. It had a fluttering sound to it. When your in the truck it doesn't sound like that. Is that normal or is that a sign of it going out? There is a chip on each of the edge of the turbo fins but don't know if that would cause it to sound like that. Just wondering if anyone else ever heard of that or would know what would cause it. Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 07-12-2011, 10:31 AM
Banned
 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Maine
Posts: 4,240
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
Quote:
Originally Posted by 565bbc View Post
So my wife took my truck to the store the other day and I noticed as she drove down the street (light throttle) the whistle from the turbo didn't sound smooth. It had a fluttering sound to it. When your in the truck it doesn't sound like that. Is that normal or is that a sign of it going out? There is a chip on each of the edge of the turbo fins but don't know if that would cause it to sound like that. Just wondering if anyone else ever heard of that or would know what would cause it. Thank you in advance.
I would replace the wheel and inspect your intake for leaks/cracks. Check the turbo shaft for play, too, might be time to rebuild it.

I have a stock wheel you can have, great shape, $35 TYD. A wicked wheel is about $78 from XDP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 07-12-2011, 12:44 PM
Premium Member
 

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Odessa, Tx.
Posts: 24
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToMang07 View Post
I would replace the wheel and inspect your intake for leaks/cracks. Check the turbo shaft for play, too, might be time to rebuild it.

I have a stock wheel you can have, great shape, $35 TYD. A wicked wheel is about $78 from XDP.
Where would I be able to find a rebuild kit for my turbo?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 07-12-2011, 12:58 PM
Banned
 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Maine
Posts: 4,240
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
Quote:
Originally Posted by 565bbc View Post
Where would I be able to find a rebuild kit for my turbo?
Well, you need to take the intake off first and find out how much play there is in it to determine IF it needs to be rebuilt, first. Do you have a boost gauge?

Bob/Guzzle has the kits, and is great to deal with, great customer service and VERY fast shipping!

http://dieselorings.com/index.php?page=browse&action=list&group=6&cat=9&or derby=DESCRIPTION

http://dieselorings.com/index.php?page=details&prod=133&cat=9&group=6

IF it is bad, you would need to pull it out/apart and figure out just how much neesd to be rebuilt, might just be a new bearing/seals, might need a new turbine/shaft, all depends. There is a very helpful video in the 7.3 tech files that shows how to remove the turbo.
http://www.guzzle7pt3.com/vanturbo.php
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 07-12-2011, 03:04 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NWI
Posts: 192
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to CTC DEEZUL
normal................................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 07-12-2011, 06:35 PM
Premium Member
 

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Odessa, Tx.
Posts: 24
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToMang07 View Post
Well, you need to take the intake off first and find out how much play there is in it to determine IF it needs to be rebuilt, first. Do you have a boost gauge?

Bob/Guzzle has the kits, and is great to deal with, great customer service and VERY fast shipping!

http://dieselorings.com/index.php?page=browse&action=list&group=6&cat=9&or derby=DESCRIPTION

http://dieselorings.com/index.php?page=details&prod=133&cat=9&group=6

IF it is bad, you would need to pull it out/apart and figure out just how much neesd to be rebuilt, might just be a new bearing/seals, might need a new turbine/shaft, all depends. There is a very helpful video in the 7.3 tech files that shows how to remove the turbo.
Welcome to BDrummonds Van Turbo Rebuild Web Page
As far as removing it and replacing it that is no problem I've already had this turbo off already when I changed the up pipes. I figured for the amount of miles this motor has on it (over 486K) it wouldn't be a bad time for an over haul on it since It'll be off anyway (again). It really doesn't have that much play to be honest with you, maybe about 1/16" or so, so why not rebuild it while in the process of changing the wheel. And no I don't have any kind of aftermarket gauges (yet) I appreciate the info though

Last edited by 565bbc; 07-12-2011 at 06:39 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 07-12-2011, 06:40 PM
Premium Member
 

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Odessa, Tx.
Posts: 24
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTC DEEZUL View Post
normal................................
Is that the way yours sounds?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 07-13-2011, 05:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: northeast Iowa
Posts: 854
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
that's how mine sounds, it's normal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 07-15-2011, 10:55 AM
NOT a Democrat
 

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Robinson Twp PA (Pittsburgh)
Posts: 4,511
Thanks: 2
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
It will have a flutter to it. Its not a stright and loud as a 6.0. All 7.3s I have heard stright piped have a bit of a "paulse" or "flutter". I like it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 07-15-2011, 06:31 PM
Premium Member
 

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Odessa, Tx.
Posts: 24
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
That's good to know guys I thought something was wrong with it. I'm going to eventually go through and rebuild the turbo and change the wheel out but I'm gonna try and run it a little bit longer like it is. Does anybody know what causes the 7.3's have that fluttering/paulse sound to em?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors