possible ipr issue, rebuilt now no start ?? HELP - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2011, 07:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
possible ipr issue, rebuilt now no start ?? HELP

i recently bought a truck back that i owned a few years back an early 99 350..i got it cheap because it was running crappy and the guy was fed up..it started right up had a little miss but idled decent, after running down the road a few miles it slowly petered out to the point of stalling..it would restart but run bad grey smoke followed by back firing when revving then black smoke not enough power to drive..i reseachered all the things on here and started with the ipr, once i found it, i noticed the nut and spacer where missing??? just the sensor part sliding arround on the shaft. i bought a re build kit removed ipr, dissasembeled valve body cleaned made sure it was all moving properly put new o rings on and re installed..cranked motor and nothing..when before it started right up, it ran crappy but it ran. checked oil level put a gallon in since i lost all in the hpop and heads. checked hpop level it was full cranked and nothing. hit it with either fire and die no fuel..what now? and what would the ipr sensor thing do if it didnt have the spacer and nut? im sure its not being in the right place on the valve is not a good thing?? please help

Last edited by brraapp; 07-10-2011 at 07:28 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2011, 12:52 AM
Emergency Services

The spacer and nut has to be on the ipr to function properly, if the solenoid is sliding around then that changes how your ipr opens and closes. Have you found a new spacer and nut? you really need to have them on there, it will cause all kinds of stalling/rough running issues without it.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:15 AM

im having an issue on my 01 X. When I cold start it lopes really bad for a few seconds and sometimes has a rough idle when hot. At light throttle it runs decent down the road but at WOT it cuts out truck trys to die with a white puffs od smoke when power comes back in. I believe either the IPR is clogged or not working right or there is a short somewhere near the CPS. What do you guys think? Also it dies allot more frequent driving in hard rain, and will actually stall at an idle.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

your prob definately sounds elictrical to me with water making it worse.. im not a pro though that is why i am asking questions also! i made that ipr tool with an inch and a eighth deep well half inch drive not an impact amd has to be six point.. then weld a six inch piece of flat bar to the back of the socket leaving the square drive opening open..you can remove and service that ipr in 10 min. with this tool.. if u search ipr service there are detailed instruction on ipr disassembally and service international offeres a service pack for 26$ new nut spacer and o rings..hope this helps
Old 07-15-2011, 07:57 PM
Emergency Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivercat View Post
im having an issue on my 01 X. When I cold start it lopes really bad for a few seconds and sometimes has a rough idle when hot. At light throttle it runs decent down the road but at WOT it cuts out truck trys to die with a white puffs od smoke when power comes back in. I believe either the IPR is clogged or not working right or there is a short somewhere near the CPS. What do you guys think? Also it dies allot more frequent driving in hard rain, and will actually stall at an idle.
The bit about the rain makes me think IDM, they are tucked in the drivers inner fender and are notorious for leaking and letting water/road grime in. Do some searches about that and see if your problems match up. I've never dealt with one personally so I don't know all the specifics about it.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:17 PM

Got one coming, a 120v got a good phot thread about how to unbury the thing, and what about the shock hazard gonna hate trying to shoehorn the thing out and waking up on my back. lol gotta be a way to cross some pins with a screw driver and relieve the capacitors.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Lmao unhook the neg wire. I just checked my idm and that's what I did. Batery powered impacts are amazing (FYI). I'm gonna fight my ipr Tom. Did the ipr fix ur problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.