HHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEElp!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2006, 01:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation HHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEElp!!!

Ok guys...I finally got my E550 w/ 7.3. I took it to the local dealer and spent 2800.00 to have EVERYTHING gone over and checked. Here's what started about 900 miles later.... Driving along about 65, slight upgrade, she loses power and engine light comes on....hearts pounding cause I've got deliveries on board and I'm a LONG way from home. I limp into Winston-Salem and a shop says...fuel pump...(wrong) then ICP regulator which was JUST replaced...(wrong again and 800.00 so far) all the while, he was pushing me for 8 new injectors @ 300.00 a pop plus labor. In a nut shell I said no, I'll limp home. 146 miles later, the same thing happened, only much worse, a long uphill grade and she went limp noodle....barely enough power to turn the wheels, running like no fuel or flooding out, engine light on and LOTS of black smoke out the tail pipe. But here's the kicker. I shut the engine off...wait a few minutes...less than 5, fire it up and she runs like a champ. I'm afraid to take it back to the dealer cause I can't afford another wallet raping, (ie buying parts that aren't the problem) And yep, had the filter changed with the service, but maybe plugged again??? hasn't repeated this in last 800 miles or so...but I haven't tried to push it either...I need help here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2006, 01:49 PM
Banned

first of all, pull the code so we have a place to start, but one thing to remember, if its blowing black smoke, thats unburnt fuel.......but get the code out of her and get back with us so we have a good starting point.......Marc
Old 06-02-2006, 02:05 PM

I don't recall the codes, one had something to do with a hard fault to the fuel pump and the other to the IPC regulator (low pressure I think...ya got to understand I was pretty tired..though NOT tired enough to fork over for 8 new injectors) will try to get a fresh set of codes ASAP.
ALSO...I failed to mention above, that it sounded like a badly overheated gas engine with no oil pressure...translation...the engine was clattering like hell!

Last edited by howardtm; 06-02-2006 at 02:07 PM.
Old 06-02-2006, 02:27 PM
Banned

if it had an ICP high/low pressure code, it probably has something to do with the high pressure oil system. it could be a weak low or high pressure pump, a major leak at the pump (probably not since it would be very noticable though) or injector o rings needing replacement............just for starters, get it to act up and unplug the ICP sensor. it is towards the front of the left head on the passanger side of the drivers side head.....three prong connector.......if it smooths out the ICP is bad........Marc
Old 06-02-2006, 04:08 PM

IPC sensor was replaced along with the regulator when the dealer did the servicing...oh please tell me its not gonna need another 5000 in injector work...the wife wouldn't kill me but I'd sure know what it felt like to be a Unich..(sp but ya get the idea...) oh... I think I can "force" this to happen again if I put the pedal to the floor on an uphill pull...not sure but I think that is what puts this in motion. (we're NOT talking hot rodding here)
Old 06-02-2006, 07:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardtm
IPC sensor was replaced along with the regulator when the dealer did the servicing...oh please tell me its not gonna need another 5000 in injector work...the wife wouldn't kill me but I'd sure know what it felt like to be a Unich..(sp but ya get the idea...) oh... I think I can "force" this to happen again if I put the pedal to the floor on an uphill pull...not sure but I think that is what puts this in motion. (we're NOT talking hot rodding here)
ok, first off, before i say this, dont take offence.....this isnt supposed to be a sarcatic....or negative towards you comment....

have you checked your oil level.....the reason i ask is the sypmtom fits the concern.........if the oil level is low, it can cause this exact concern......

secondly...i will garantee all your injectors are not bad. worst case senario is one or two are bad and the rest need re o-ringed....but that may not be the case either.....

honestly, it sounds to me like a weak high pressure oil pump, or possibly a weak low pressure pump. if you can "force it" to happen, what happens when you back out of the trottle and instantly go to three quarter throttle....i bet nothing.......im thinkin your HP oil pump may be getting weak.....Marc
Old 06-03-2006, 03:35 AM

none taken...oil level is good, and when it quit I floored it, pumped it, backed off the throttle etc..etc...and just kept doing nothing but scaring the heck outta me. The one guy in Winston-Salem mentioned it "could" be an internal oil leak, but he was also trying to sell me new injectors. what, in your opinion, should it cost to check/replace oil pumps and check/replace injector o-rings??...( I have neither the skill, nor time to attempt this myself)
Old 06-03-2006, 06:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardtm
none taken...oil level is good, and when it quit I floored it, pumped it, backed off the throttle etc..etc...and just kept doing nothing but scaring the heck outta me. The one guy in Winston-Salem mentioned it "could" be an internal oil leak, but he was also trying to sell me new injectors. what, in your opinion, should it cost to check/replace oil pumps and check/replace injector o-rings??...( I have neither the skill, nor time to attempt this myself)
the low pressure oil pump takes about a half hour or so to properly test with a manual gauge.......but most shops are going to charger you an hour......the HP system is easier, all they have too do is moniter hte ICP and IPR with the scan tool and verify that they are working and that the pump is working. from there, you need to check to see if the HP resevour is full, and then if all that checks out, the only place left for a leak is at an injector........im guessing that you have 2-3 hours of labor total in checking all that, but it really depends on the shop. in our shop, i get 1.5 hours to start and if its a difficult problem on a diesel, we explain to the customer that we may need to call and get authorization for a little more diag time......

as far as the repair, a shop is going to charge 6-10 hours for injector o rings. I get 8 hours to remove all eight injectors and re o ring them, but the thing about that is its a very "presice" repair and if you dont do it the right way, you will hydrolock the motor and bend at least one connecting rod. that is part of the reason for the high labor time on them, to allow for a proper repair with no short cuts...........Marc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.