Unique Problem... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2011, 09:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unique Problem...

Im new here but have been a reader for a couple years on and off. Ive searched and read the stickys so if this has been covered please just let me know and sorry for the trouble.

Heres the run down:

I have a 2001 F350 with an original motor with 300k mi 4x4 crew cab (if that makes a difference) and I have a problem that looks similar to some here but there are a couple differences... My truck burns no oil, doesn't drip any oil, and rarely blows any black smoke. It recently quit running and now won't restart. heres what has happened.

1. ran fine then suddenly started idling high and then temp gauge shot up rapidly to wide open. I stop the truck and ALL the coolant appears gone. After cooling down I add 4.5 gallons of coolant and water and check the oil...All the water is in the oil. I had topped off coolant the day before and checked it before driving so it dropped about 4 gallons of water in 20 minutes. This is in South houston in summer so its about 100deg but the truck never has overheating problems. I drain out the oil and water (prob 3 gallons of water at the bottom at least) and flush with oil then change filter and refill with rotella as i have for years. i flush and drain cooling system twice and find plenty of oil in there. I try to flush with flushing agent, soap and nonstop water. still residual is in there. Truck starts and runs like normal and there are no changes to the water level or oil. I drive the truck and it behaves the same as always but there are tiny amounts of oil getting into the water and small amounts of water now getting into the oil. It is goign BOTH ways and both are small amounts.

2. I continue to drive the truck checking the coolant level and checking oil and if i see any signs of water in the oil i change it. Truck is behaving totally normally and and i continue this way for a couple of months.

3. driving about 50 mph no load easy driving and suddenly the temp shoots up to wide open HOT and it acts as it did before. I put the Heater on HI and immediately the temp starts decreasing BUT NO hot air is comming out of the vents! infact it stays cold with the ac running (which as never happened before) but the temp keeps dropping. I pull over and and stop and it idles high. Shut the truck off same problem as before. AGAIN it dropped several gallons of water into the oil pan with no drips leaks or anything else. I flush oil and water again and refill both but this time the water is draining ou tof the cooling system with the truck off and into the oil pan at the rate of about a gallon every30 minutes. obviously i change again and the truck restarts and runs like normal. I head home to park it and after about 3 minutes of normal driving temp and all in line if simly shuts off. No sputtering or high idle just shuts down. No noises or anything else. I change the oil and coolanet again and no start. crancks fine no weird noises and seems to be ok but no start. doesnt' sputter or try to start. run diagnostics and i get:

-P1212 injection control pressure voltage not at expected level
-P1247 turbo boost pressure low ( i have suspected that the turbo requires a rebuild and its seemed to lag more and make less boost)
-P0340 camshaft position sensor circuit malfunction

My question is has anyone seen this??? ive seen the leak one way or the other on coolant and oil and i know about the possibilities of head gasket, pin hole in cylinder or wall and water pump cavitation. but Noneone has said they drop 4 gallons in 15 minutes and then it stops for a couple of months!! Only thing i could suspect is cracked internal water jacket on the lower end...somethign that is just draining without pressure and with the motor is off..its the only way i could figure dropping that much fluid in so little time...also about those codes any help will be great...hope you guys can get me rolling. Im a pro fighter and far too poor to just put it in the shop and let the 3k plus club call me right now.

Thanks in advance. -drew
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2011, 02:08 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

my money is your oil cooler is shot probably rusted out on the inside it will let either water in your oil or oil in your water. my 03 7.3 had oil going into the water my oil cooler was bad and my truck only has 94,000 miles on it hope this helps.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ahhh yes i had heard something about that. Hear it only went one way and that it wouldn't drop that much water so quick...but if its rusted out that could make sense. Any idea on why the truck would have quit running or more details on the trouble codes? should I just replace the CPS and woul dthat probabaly take care of the starting and running issue?
Old 06-24-2011, 11:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

on why your truck quit running your icp sensor could be going bad. when your truck quit running did it start right back up?
Old 06-27-2011, 08:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It has not restarted since it quit. It turns over easily and has no strange sounds and everything APPEARS to be as it should but it doestn' start.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.