Bad IDM fixed, now bad injectors? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2011, 04:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Bad IDM fixed, now bad injectors?

Recently I purchased an E99 F350 with some issues I already knew about. I wrote up some about it when I got it in the E99 General section, but the issue I'm having now I think applies to all psd...that is the IDM.

I purchased AE shortly after I got the truck because I thought some of the injectors were shot. I had a noticeable miss at low to mid rpm range. I ran the buzz test but they all came back fine, instead I got these codes after running KOEO:

P1298 - Injector Driver Module Failure
P1690 - Wastegate Solenoid Circuit
P0230 - Fuel Pump Primary Circuit

I ordered a replacement IDM, but continued driving. My IDM issue became more serious when after driving for some time and getting the truck to fully warm up I would lose more cylinders and eventually stall, only to have to wait a few minutes, then fire up and get going again. From what I read this is a pretty classic sign of a bad IDM.

Meanwhile, I replaced the WG solenoid and that code went away. I also fixed an issue with the fuel pump circuit and lastly, ordereda rebuilt IDM (went up to the 120V from the stock 110V) from Davie in FL.

When the IDM got in, I popped it in place of the old one, reset the ECU (left the batteries disconnected overnight), and fired her up only to run just as rough as before.

Connected AE again and ran the buzz test. Again all 8 injectors buzzed fine and to me all sound the same. However, the test now returns multiple codes:

P0279 Cylinder 7 Injector Circuit Low
P0265 Cylinder 2 Injector Circuit High
P1277 Cy*linder #7 High To Low Side Open
P1293 Injector High Side Open - Bank 1
P1294 Injector High Side Open - Bank 2

Now I'm thinking I'm crazy, why the heck didn't I see this before? So I pop the old IDM back in only to get the old code P1298 IDM Failure and nothing else. Back to the new one and back to the new set of 5 codes.

Does this mean I had a bad IDM AND bad injectors? I think I get that the first 3 codes in the list are either bad injectors or bad wiring, but which is more likely? Also, what about the last two codes?

Next I run three of the KOER tests:

KOER Glow Plug test - PASS

KOER Cylinder Contribution test
P0284 Cylinder 8 Injector Circuit Contribution / Balance Fault

KOER test
P0476 Exhaust Pressure Control Valve Range / Performance

Now this seems to suggest the problem is with cyl 8, not cylinders 2 and 7...I am so very . I'd appreciate any advice very much.

Last edited by petik; 06-24-2011 at 05:59 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2011, 05:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
How does the turbo compressor look? Number 8 is the first cylinder to show problems from dirt ingestion. How many miles on the truck? Did you pull the valve covers to check the harnesses? They tended to pull apart/arc out on the earlier trucks, causing similar issues.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Compressor wheel looks ok to me, but I will take the intake pipe off and snap a pic tomorrow.
The truck has 203k miles.
Haven't pulled the valve covers off yet. Was debating if I needed to before I order injectors. Should this be my next step?

Couple of other notes, I did do an oil change as soon as I got it home. I also replaced the fuel filter with a motorcraft. The fuel bowl was FILTHY. I used up nearly a full roll of shop towels cleaning the gunk out of it. I also have a new air filter on it - the 6637 conversion.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:02 PM

When you say the fuel bowl was filthy-was the fuel black? Could be a sign of leaking injector o-rings. Chances are high that they are bad at 200k. Order a set, and get ready to do them. Get some new UVC harnesses, and valve cover gaskets, along with some BERU or MOTOCRAFT glowplugs.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Fuel wasn't black. The best comparison I have is that it looked like water running through rusty pipes after you haven't run the bath in an old house for a while. Except that there was about an inch of thick residue that was the color of rust at the bottom of the bowl I had to quite literally scoop up out of there. My guess is that the previous owner hasn't replaced the fuel filter in a really long time.

I guess I'll pull the valve covers off tomorrow and see what I see...
Old 06-22-2011, 06:37 PM

If there was that much rust (indicative of water contamination) and sediment in the bowl, I'll be you'll need injectors soon. First order of business should be valve cover gaskets/harnesses, injector o-rings, and glow plugs. Then, change all the filters/fluids, and see how she runs.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:18 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Well the glow plugs are mail ordered since I couldn't find Motorcrafts in town (except at ford for 2.5x the price). I did pull the intake and the driver side valve cover. Harness looks fine and the compressor shaft has zero play in it although the fins do look a tad chipped on the outside (see pic).

Getting new harnesses anyways, glow plugs should be here early next week. I'm debating whether to spend 80 bucks on new o-rings or just say heck with it and drop a thousand on a new stg1 set. Also seems like a good time to do the CCV mod...

I think I'm going to go pick up a cheap diesel compression tester and give that a shot before I go spending more money. If one of the cylinders is shot, maybe this truck ain't worth more trouble.

Old 06-23-2011, 08:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Just to confirm, cyl #8 is the driver side closest to the firewall, right? That would be the one to be most concerned about on the compression test...?
Old 06-24-2011, 01:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Alright, i got the compression tester and here's what I see. Only run on the drive side so far.
Cyl #2: 370
Cyl #4: 350
Cyl #6: 370
Cyl #8: 340

These seem like reasonable numbers to not worry about dusting. Would that at all be a correct assumption?

I need the truck running so I'm going to put this side back together real quick and tear into the other side a bit later. Given that all diagnostics are saying i've problems with injectors 2, 7 and 8, should I just be ordering new injectors at this point? Is there anything else I should try to rule out a dusted motor?

Photo of glow plugs from bottom 2-4-6-8. They look like motorcraft, and for the time being they're going back in since the replacements haven't arrived yet.

Old 06-24-2011, 01:38 PM

Those numbers are acceptable. 8 Is the first to show issues, so I wouldn't worry. As for injectors, It's hard to say. Depends entirely on your time frame.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.