Oil Dipstick handle broke off -> metal piece stuck inside - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2007, 02:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Oil Dipstick handle broke off -> metal piece stuck inside

My handle to the oil dipstick broke off... leaving the actual dipstick inside the tube.

I've searched and this hasn't been posted yet.

What is the best solution?

Remove Oil pan and push it out?
Remove nut on housing to oil pan (next to starter)?
Magnet to remove dipstick thru top???

thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2007, 02:35 PM
Desert Shield/Storm Vet

Ouch that hurts. Can you get at it with a pair of needle nose? Cant pull the pan without pulling the motor out so that option is out. Hmm Im sure someone will have a good option for you.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:36 PM
Premium Member

how far down is it, you may be able to get a needle nose plyer in there to pull it out.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:38 PM
Premium Member

im not sure how the dipstick tube is attatched to the motor, but you may be able to take the tube off too
Old 08-08-2007, 02:43 PM
Thats Mr. Oil Leak.....

Send a message via AIM to MrJohnWayne Send a message via MSN to MrJohnWayne Send a message via Yahoo to MrJohnWayne
Just pull the dipstick tube out. What year truck is it. I know 99.5 thru 03 7.3's there is one nut that holds the tube on right next to the ac compressor. remove that nut and pull the tube out. remove dipstick replace tube. Mine has done that to me as well. My belt went to pieces and sheared off the handle. It is a stupid place to mount the dipstick isnt it!?!

On suggestion. before removing the tube clean the area on the block where the tube goes in. It is kinda hard cause the starter is in the way but mine had a bunch of gunk built up and I cleaned it before removing/reinstalling cause I didnt want that gunk to get into the oil pan.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJohnWayne View Post
Just pull the dipstick tube out. What year truck is it. I know 99.5 thru 03 7.3's there is one nut that holds the tube on right next to the ac compressor. remove that nut and pull the tube out. remove dipstick replace tube. Mine has done that to me as well.
Ok. I removed the nut holding the bracket and pulled on it a bit, but doesn't seem to budge.

It is a 2000 model btw.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thumbs up

Holy Crap... It works!! I just had to tug a little harder. It is held in place at the oil pan with an o-ring.

I can finally check my oil.

Thanks to the folks that helped.

Old 08-12-2007, 03:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
FYI: NEVER undo that giant nut beside the starter that is in the side of the oil pan. The other side in the pan will fall if you take it out and removal of pan means removal of motor to get to it in the pan.
Old 08-12-2007, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStarPony View Post
FYI: NEVER undo that giant nut beside the starter that is in the side of the oil pan. The other side in the pan will fall if you take it out and removal of pan means removal of motor to get to it in the pan.
Now that, right there is the best suggestion you can get unless you want to pull the motor.

The o-ring is what keeps it snug in the receiver assembly for the tube. It's a common o-ring so if it's torn replace it. The nut up on the front valve cover bolt holds the tube in with the attached bracket.

You can use the (easier to check oil) late tube (99 up) in the earlier 7.3's but DO NOT loosen the big nut up to align the tube. Just leave the dip stick in the tube and carefully bend it (no kinks) to align the front bracket up to the front valve cover hole. With the dip stick out the tube might take a bend the dip stick doesn't like. If that happens the stick will not slide through the tube and it will have to be trimmed to fit.
Old 08-12-2007, 04:45 PM
Thats Mr. Oil Leak.....

Send a message via AIM to MrJohnWayne Send a message via MSN to MrJohnWayne Send a message via Yahoo to MrJohnWayne
Quote:
Originally Posted by blanco View Post
Holy Crap... It works!! I just had to tug a little harder. It is held in place at the oil pan with an o-ring.

I can finally check my oil.

Thanks to the folks that helped.

Sweet glad you got it fixed!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.