truck won't start. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2005, 12:55 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
truck won't start.

I have a 1999 7.3 powerstroke. Lately it has been slow to start with a slightly longer cranking time. It seems to be worse in the morning when it sets overnight or long days at work. I went this afternoon to start it and it won't. I'm wondering if it could be the fuel pressure. I thought maybe my betteries were getting week but it will crank it for a long time now.Any thoughts on what it could be before I take it in on Monday?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2005, 01:47 PM

Check your fuel pressure after the truck has sit for a while. If pressure is not staying up, check either the backpressure regulator or fuel pump to see if either is leaking back to the tank. Oh yeah, check your fuel pressure when the truck is running for comparison. Good luck!! Also make sure the fuel pump is comong on when you switch your key to on.

Last edited by wiwaniuk; 10-08-2005 at 01:48 PM. Reason: another thought
Old 10-08-2005, 01:58 PM

Fuel was also leaking out under the truck. I think that was from checking the fuel filter and not getting the cap tight but it aslo is leaking out of a 1/4" tube that hangs down on the passenger side. It looks like an overflow or somthing.
Old 10-08-2005, 05:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

That could be your drain valve on the fuel filter. Check the valve and make sure it is closed completely. I have heard of these going bad and having to be replaced. I would take the truck to the auto parts store and let them check your batteries. They may crank the truck BUT they may be weak and not spinning it like they should.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I also have a 1999 and was having the same problem. the truck would crank slower than normal in the morning or when cold but seemed to crank at the correct speed when it was warm. I checked the batteries, connections, resistance in the cables. I found a thread that advised that the bushing in the starter goes dry and causes it to bind (assuming the theory that the heat swelled the bushing faster than the starter winding shaft causing less binding during warm starts). I found that the gear reduction gear grease had dried as well as the bushing grease but I also found that two of the starter brushes were not sliding. A closer look revealed that the brushes are cracked lengthwise (I have never seen this). This may be a common thing with mileage and age, I dont know since I never took a starter apart in hopes to save it. Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.