Bad ECM? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2011, 07:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bad ECM? - P1605

Well I finally broke down and took my truck to a shop to have it diagnosed. I was unable to diagnose it myself and could no longer put up with it not running. I had another thread attempting to find the problem.

My symptoms included an extremely rough start followed by a terrible idle, a huge loss of power, and randomly stalling at idle. While the problems seemed to get better after miles driven they never went away.

The shop told me I had a bad ECM. They said the code they retrieved was caused by a severe internal ecm failure. (P1605)

I found this strange as i have never heard of vehicles still running with a bad ecm. The mechanic told me he checked it multiple times. I do have a very large amount of trust with this mechanic as he is a relative of mine.

I am very interested in what you all have to say. Should i just go ahead and assume they are right and replace it?

Last edited by 02PowerStrokeFord; 06-03-2011 at 01:12 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2011, 01:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I just found the code it was P1605. Any input would be appreciated.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:15 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to riverszzr
I can only offer this, I work on motorcycles for a living and have have never had one of them run still (in any manner, good bad or indifferent) with a bad ecm (due to "wearing out", corrosion or some other type of similar problem).

I have however had a few customers drill through their ECM (for fender eliminator and liscense plate relocation---idiots!) and they have still run, albeit with some problems. So I wouldn't say it is out of the realm of possibilities.

If you trust them, I would think it is a no brainer and do it. If it doesn't fix the problem the shop/mechanic should stand behind their work and find the real problem and not charge you for thier misdiagnosis...IMO
Old 06-09-2011, 12:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well I replaced my ECM with a known working one and my truck is still exhibiting the exact same symptoms.

The check engine light did come on and for the first time it stayed on. I took it to Auto Zone to have it read and it passed. Their scanner was unable to pick up any codes.

I am really stumped.

Any ideas? Anyone?
Old 06-09-2011, 12:55 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
To read the codes, you need a really good scanner, the generic ones wont read Ford codes.

For S&G, have you replaced the CPS, and have you tried running it without the ICP plugged in?

Do you have a chip in it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.