PCM / IDM Questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2011, 08:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question PCM / IDM Questions

I have a 2000 F350 7.3L Super Cab and the engine is running rough. After some previous problems I have finally gotten out codes 603 - KMA (Keep Memory Alive) and P1316 - Injector Drive Problem. After having looked through the forums here and finding that that the P1316 usually is a connector problem, I replaced the valve cover gasket and the connections to the injectors and cleared the codes. Engine still ran rough and I still got the 603 and P1316 error codes, cleared them again and still received the same codes over and over. I have tried a Buzz test, but it errored out with a cable not connected error. Had a friend who is a diesel mechanic come by and take a look at the truck. We have just about decided that that problem is the PCM/IDM since the 603 error supposedly comes up when the battery has been disconnected and funny thing is the battery has never been disconnected and the ground is fine. Pulled the PCM and it seemed to have moisture droplets inside the connector. So I now have several questions.
1. Is there a way to test the PCM/IDM removed from the vehicle?
2. Does a new one have to be flashed (programed) or can I just buy one and install it? The model / part number is XC3F-12A650-BF
3. Do I have to use the same model number or are there others that I can install as replacements? What are the replacement model numbers?
Any one have any thoughts or suggestions?
Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Update info -

Ok, after much discussion with many different mechanics and parts dealers I am now more confused than ever as to what 'computer' I should be looking for to replace.
I pulled the unit that was next to the parking brake in my F350 SuperCab Duly the only other unit I could find was close to the floor board at the transmission hump and I was told that that was the engine control. The numbers that I gave above came off of the unit I pulled but have been told that the number off of that unit that I need is DPC 422 and that number is the PCM unit and that I need the IDM unit that controls the injectors. Now comes the big question -- if I have the wrong unit, then where do I find the one I need? I have not seen any other 'computer' unit under the hood or I just don't know the correct location to look for it. The other thing is that I have seen the PCM and IDM names used (as to what I would consider) interchangeably so I am not sure if there are actually 2 separate units or if they are one and the same. I need to get the right item ordered ASAP so any one who can help get me on the right path and unconfused, would be appreciated.

Last edited by eremartin1; 06-01-2011 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Update
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2011, 10:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The ECM is the 1 next to the parking brake. The IDM is in the driver side wheel well. You have to remove the plastic wheel well liner to get to it. Its basically right behind the F350 badge on the fender. 1 10mm bolt holding the wire harness on and 2 10mm bolts securing the IDM to the fender
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.