Help, mystery leak....with pics - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2011, 07:35 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help, mystery leak....with pics

I'm a bit stumped on what's leaking. I don't believe it to be oil because I'm due for a change and can see that the engine oil is black. The fluid leaking is just about crystal clear. It's coming from the tq converter cover so I pulled the cover off, and now I can see it drip from the lip of the oil pan directly below the rear main seal. I don't think the rear main is leaking as I would expect a much darker fluid since my oil is ready for a change. I'm new to this truck but I'm also guessing that the turbo uses engine oil so I don't think it's the pedestal either. Correct me if I'm wrong, not 100% sure about that statement.

My first thought was either brake fluid or power steering fluid. I checked the level of brake fluid and it looks fine. Also pumped up the brakes to see if it would leak faster but it did not.

Power steering fluid....has a red tint to it so it's not that

Trans fluid...nope, it's tinted red as well.

Diesel fuel...doesn't smell like diesel at all and the consistency is more like brake fluid.

The truck is an automatic so there is no hydraulic clutch to leak.

Looking at the pic showing all the fluids. The only one it looks close to is the brake fluid. Is there another fluid I have over looked?
Attached Thumbnails
Help, mystery leak....with pics-fluids.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2011, 07:41 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
is there any fluid in the valley?
Old 05-26-2011, 08:19 AM

Very hard to tell with all the acorns, leaves, and what looked like the remains of a small animal down in there. Just finished cleaning it all out and letting a little degreaser work in there for a few minutes. Getting ready to wash it out and let it run for a little bit to see if I see anything new. Stay tuned...
Old 05-26-2011, 09:41 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
My guess would be diesel and the fuel o-rings on the y lines needing replaced. How many miles are on the truck?
Old 05-26-2011, 10:23 AM

mileage is at 133k. I've always smelled a little fuel so I'm sure you are correct about the o-rings. This is the first time I've seen evidence that they're leaking bad enough to spot the driveway.

Now that it's all cleaned out, I can see wetness in the valley but I'm not certain that it's not still a little water from the clean out I did. I may have to wait until this evening or tomorrow to know for sure. I'm pretty much going with the fuel theory since I've ruled out the brakes.

Where is the best place to get the o-rings and what else is good to do while I'm in there? Have a link to a guide with pics on replacing the o-rings?

Thanks
Old 05-27-2011, 08:41 PM

Replacement O-rings for Ford Diesel Engines

or

Riffraff Diesel
sell them too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.