Help! 7.3 P Codes 0476/1247 Loses Power/Stalls - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2011, 08:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help! 7.3 P Codes 0476/1247 Loses Power/Stalls

I've got a 2001 7.3 3500. Starts up fine. Will idle all day. When I take it out on the highway it will lose power after 5 or 10 minutes. I'm lucky if I can go 20 miles an hour with it floored. As soon as I stop it stalls. Won't start. If I wait 5 minutes it will start but still no power/ rough idle/ blowing black smoke. Have to drive in low 4 just to make it move.

If I let it cool down it will start and idle great again until I take it out on the highway. Throws code P1247 and under the KOEO test P0476.

First thing I checked was the EPB Sensor and tube. Both were carboned up. Replaced both. No change. Replaced the waste gate soleoid and Exhaust Back Pressure solenoid. No change. Pulled the fuel tank flushed it and cleaned the screen, new filter. NO CHANGE!! It's driving me nuts.

I can hear the Turbo spool up. Then I will slowly lose power on the highway. If I am at idle before I drive I can step on the gas and spool up the turbo. Sounds fine. I have no idea what to try next??? Help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2011, 08:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It just threw a P1211. Could a IPR regulator cause all my power problems?
Old 05-24-2011, 12:29 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
~~~Trouble Codes List~~~

P0476{2}
EBP Pressure Above/Below Desired

P0476{3}
EP Control Valve Performance

P1247
Turbo Boost Pressure Low

P1211{2}
ICP Pressure Is Above/Below Desired, Faulty IPR Valve

P1211{1}{3}
ICP Pressure Uncontrollable, Pressure Above/Below Desired

Try pulling your ICP plug and see if it runs better, and check it for oil.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ICP on 7.3

Thanks for the info. Pulled the ICP; it was dry. I had an ICP on order. Installed it. Ran great like always for about 5 minutes then lost power and stalled. Wasn't it. Still have same problems. The only things left to try are the IPR and the PCM.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:11 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
It may be your IPR then.

Just for giggles, did you try changing out your CPS?
Old 05-27-2011, 12:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Changed out the IPR. Ran great for 5 miles. As soon as I slowed down, lost power again.
Couldn't even pull it's own weight. Waited 5 minutes. Started but still had almost no power. It's a little better than it was before I put the new IPR on.
Talked to a Ford Tech. He said to check the fuel pressure. It never went below 50psi.

Anyone have any idea's?
Old 06-02-2011, 07:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I' ve got a truck doing the same thing. I drove it today until it started running bad. I stopped and unplugged the left side valve cover gasket. No change when I unplugged it. I unplugged right side valve cover gasket and truck cut off. I think its running off right side only. I'm going to pull left side cover and check it over. It runs like its running out of fuel but truck has new pump, filter, and I cleaned fuel tank and pick up. ICP pressure looks good. No Codes.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:33 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Any updates on this guys?
Old 06-10-2011, 03:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I finally got it. It was the fuel pressure regulator on the side of the fuel filter housing. The o rings get worn out. Take the fuel filter cap off after it stalls/ no power. Only fuel should come out when you open the cap. If air comes out or if the filter housing is not full of fuel; air is getting into the fuel system. Ford has a rebuild kit. (o rings and spring assembly) It took me 10 minutes. Runs great now.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Hello all. I was asked to take a look at a 7.3 today that would lose power, go to idle, stall, restart, smoke black, blue and white. No power after restart.Vehicle owner had already replaced valve cover gaskets , injectors ,CPS , new fuel filter, rebuilt fuel pressure regulator. He had also had the truck plugged in at the dealer and had no trouble codes. Left the truck at the dealer because it seemed to happen more first thing in the morning.

The problem was that his engine oil level was low. Good engine oil will creep up the dipstick and give you a false reading first thing in the morning. Always pull stick and wipe clean before checking.

The oil level was low enough to allow foaming or sucking of air into the oil supply, thus wreaking havoc because the injectors cannot function properly if the engine oil has foamed or is mixed with air.

I should point out that the oil pressure gauge read on the high side of normal the entire time he has been having this trouble.

First test was to hold rpm's at 2500. After 5 seconds or so rpm starts to drop, engine started to miss and blow smoke, surging at idle, then stalled. Pulled dipstick and saw air bubbles in oil on stick. Waited 20 minutes, checked oil properly, added oil to full mark. Problem solved, runs great uphill or down, hot or cold, loaded or empty.

In closing, never trust the first pull of the dipstick, always wipe clean, then check for an accurate read.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
7.3, loses power

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.