p0231 trouble code on 2000 7.3 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2011, 05:30 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
p0231 trouble code on 2000 7.3

i'm reading everything i can find trying to find out what is up with my friends 7.3. he drove it here to my garage in maine from his place in new hampshire to pick up his trailer. as soon as he hooked onto it the truck seemed to run different almost like it was skipping, but i didn't pay much attention to it because i didn't want to get tangled up in a bunch of "free" repairs. he left with his trailer and about 3 minutes after that my phone rang. he said the truck was dead on the side of the road. we towed it back to my garage pulled the codes and came up with p0231 fuel pump relay dvr circuit fail. so now i am trying to find out what caused that. the truck has 282k on it original injectors. he is running a edge programmer k&n filter 4" turbo back exhaust boost pyro and trans temp gauges 2" leveling kit with 315s. it just went back to the dealer for a computer problem something about the radio and heater not turning off with the key. this winter the dealer replaced cam sensor (recall) and while they were in it they replaced the fuel heater in the filter housing and i think the gpr as well. this is what i know about it anyone have an idea whats causing the code? he said when he left my place it had very little power when it starts up it runs very rough and sounds like it's about to come apart. i had thought he lost an injector but wouldn't it show up on the scan tool. we did the buzz test and that came out alright as well. he is thinking it may be time to dump it for a new tundra.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2011, 11:02 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
check the fpr on the driver side in the valley at the front of the motor it sits on a shaft with a nut that holds it on and a 2 prong plug on it if the nut is lose or missing u will get that code.. its an ez fix just find a nut that fits and u should be good to go. good luck if u have ne questions pm me. ill get on shopkey and see if we can fig it out
Old 05-17-2011, 03:31 PM

i looked for the fpr but im not exactly sure what im looking for but i didn't see anything that had a missing nut or loose. this afternoon (in between rain showers) i went out and checked a couple things. the fuses all look good, i opened the filter cover and turned on the key and no fuel came out. my 2000 7.3 will soak down the engine compartment in just a couple seconds if the o ring on the cover doesn't seat just right. i tightened the cover and started it. it ran rough like it was out of fuel, but there were no knocks or pings other than the regular diesel noises. i plan to do a voltage test on the pump tomorow if it's not raining.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:38 PM

good idea that was the next thig i was gunna say to look at, remember u can have full volts at the pump but the the pump can still be bad.. if u can u need to do a fuel pressure test if u need the specs let me know ill get them for u.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:52 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
What you're looking for is really called the IPR....
Attached Thumbnails
p0231 trouble code on 2000 7.3-7.3sensors.jpg  
Old 05-17-2011, 04:20 PM

they r the same thing but yes the ipr
Old 05-18-2011, 09:04 AM

no power at the pump. number 19 high current fuse is blown fuel pump and pcm. we ran a hotwire to the pump and it doesn't do anything. my guess is the pump siezed and blew the fuse. new pump at napa is $153 or $180 thru motor supply $405 from ford.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzlpwrd View Post
no power at the pump. number 19 high current fuse is blown fuel pump and pcm. we ran a hotwire to the pump and it doesn't do anything. my guess is the pump siezed and blew the fuse. new pump at napa is $153 or $180 thru motor supply $405 from ford.
sounds bout right at least u found the prob.. i would not get a used one i would go with the ford one if u can afford it other wise napa has good parts too.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:42 AM

so i went back out pulled a fuse from a different spot and replaced the burnt one, then unplugged the fuel heater. turned on the key and the pump came on. started the truck and after a few minutes it got all the air out of the lines and runs perfect. so according to my dealership the fuel heater will short out and blow the fuse it is fairly common. he took the truck to a dealer down in new hampshire and they "changed the fuel heater" that was 3 months ago.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:45 PM

humm i didnt know that ill have to keep that in mind
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.