Very Rough Start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2011, 12:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Very Rough Start

I just bought a 02 f350. The price was just too good to pass up. It seemed to have many small problems (I have fixed all but two).

The truck has an extremely hard time starting after sitting for long periods of time. I have to crank the motor for up to five minutes with it sittin on a battery charger in order to get it to start. The motor seems to not hit at all for the first little bit then slowly increases until it can maintain itself. After that it will start in 10-20 seconds of cranking. Afterwards it will idle very rough. Sounds like possibly at least one cylinder is missing. If i drive it for five to ten miles the problem seems to vanish and it runs like a champ.

I also have an oil leak that i just cannot locate. I have cleaned the engine to the best of my ability but still cannot find the leak. All I am sure of is that the leak is on the top end as there is oil in the valley and even some on top of the driver side head.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong but I believe an oil leak could cause low oil pressure in turn not allowing the fuel to reach and maintain necessary pressure. Also the vanishing of my problem could be due to heat causing expansion thus sealing the leak. It really would be convenient to be able to fix one problem by fixing the other but it seems like a long shot.

I am pretty new to diesels so I am sure some of my thinking may be flawed.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I would also love to hear any ideas of where to check my leak.

2002 Ford F350 7.3L 195,000miles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2011, 07:53 AM

I would venture a guess that your turbo pedestal is leaking, it's pretty common with these engines. Mine leaks about like yours is described, but I don't have the problems you mentioned.

Hopefully some of the guru's on here will chime in.
Old 05-15-2011, 12:21 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
As far as the starting issue, start with removing and testing the batteries, (Load test) NAPA, Advance Auto, etc will usually do it for free and make sure they are good. If they are good, check the alternator, too. (Same.)

As far as the leak... if the HPOP was leaking, I would think that that could cause a hard start.... but best first step would be to get your codes read. How much is it leaking
?
Old 05-15-2011, 12:50 PM

Interested to see what people say, I'm having simular issues. The guy I bought it from said glow plugs or glow plug relay, or water in fuel. If I figure anything out I'll let you know.
Old 05-15-2011, 01:15 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

it sounds like your leak is oil draining from the hpop. that is why it takes so long to start. The crankcase pump is having to fill the hpop back up and the air from the empty hpop is causing a rough run until all the air is worked out. if you have ever done injectors or an hpop swap, sounds like what you go through to get it all primed up with oil and remove the air. check the gasket where the HPOP mounts. just my .02.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:51 AM

Make sure you don't have fuel in your coolant. Could be injector sleeve.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:07 PM

Is there any smoke coming out the tail pipe when its cranking or when it starts? if so what color?

Leak - turbo ped or hpop are my first thoughts
if your hpop is leaking this could be causeing your no start issue. Your hpop would be draining out oil and then when you go to start it there is no oil to pressurize your injectors. Then it takes your truck cranking and cranking to build pressure back until it starts.

Other simple things to start looking at for the rough start -

First find your block heater cord and plug your truck in. (front of your truck where the stock fog lights go) After 4 or so hours try and start your truck. If it starts easier and is not a rough running you have dead injectors

While your waiting ....

Dirty fuel filter
Dirty fuel bowl
Oil level *** very important *** Your injectors are driven by high pressure oil and if your low your injectors dont work.

Oil Level in HPOP - there is a hex head plug you remove on the top of it and there should be oil there that you can see. If its not near the top you have a leak in the hpop

GPR - there is a way to test it for voltage here on the site somewhere just do a search. (most likely is not causing your hard start issue)

Glow plugs - really dont matter in warm weather so no need to check those.

injectors - if your blowing white smoke and have bad rough idle while warming up i would bet you have a few bad ones. Buzz and contribution tests will tell you if your good or not... but you need to find someone with a scanner or your taking it to a shop and paying for it to be tested.

just a few off the top of my head... hope this helps
Old 05-18-2011, 10:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Alright I found the leak and it is too small and in the wrong place to be causing my engine problems. It was leaking from the turbo pedestal. It is a fairly small leak.

I checked the hpop (both right after killing it and the next day before trying to start it again). The oil level is about an inch or so from the top and seems to stay pretty consistent.

I plugged in my block heater overnight and in the morning had the same issues with the motor.

I blows a little white smoke on startup and also blows a little at higher rpm's.

It seems to run terribly no matter how long it idles the only way to get it running the way it should is to drive it five miles or so.

Could it possibly be the ebpv valve sticking?

Thank you everyone for the ideas they are helping alot.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:04 PM

If the ebpv was sticking it would sound kind of like a jet engine(hissing) from the tailpipe. If it sounds like that, drive it for a little while till it stops, then unplug the sensor on the front of the motor.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:58 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

How about a leaking injector, no positive but sounds kind of like your losing prime. Just a thought.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.