Truck died at WOT and wont start again... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2011, 06:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation Truck died at WOT and wont start again...

I left the house today with the pedal to the metal and when i went to to shift in second gear the truck just died like i turned it off with the key... I checked all the fuses, they are good. I pulled the fuel filter out and it is full of fuel. It gives me codes P1209, P1211, P1212 and P0470. I am not positive but pretty shure that those codes were there the last time i checked when the truck was running fine. My cps has been changed last year or the year before, the engine turns over fine and the check engine light does not come on. I have a superchip and the 5k mod.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2011, 06:39 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Hmm, well the first 3 all have to do with high pressure oil pressure oil issues. Was anything done to the truck recently?

Not to insult your intelligence but the oil level is good? If these truck get about a gallon low they will start to show up as high pressure oil issues.

I'm sure it's probably not that simple though. Sounds like you have an IPR or pump issue. Usually these high pressure oil pumps are pretty tough. It's more likely an IPR issue. The IPR is located in the high pressure oil pump, on the drivers side, beneath the fuel filter housing. It has a 2 wire connector going to it. Make sure this connector is plugged in good. Also make sure the wires haven't rubbed/melted together. I've seen this happen before.

If this all looks good take a test light, turn the key on, and check for battery voltage on one of the terminals of the IPR connector. One side is key on hot, the other side is grounded by the PCM to control high pressure oil. As long as you have the key on hot there the system is good. Don't bother trying to check the ground side at this time. It's a little complicated to do. You would need to set a voltmeter to duty cycle and check the pulse width modulated signal from the PCM. Enough gibberesh from me! We'll assume it's good.

The next step would be to try a new IPR. It's likely that, or a biased ICP sensor. Usually an ICP sensor will throw different codes though. Hope this will help you out. Let me know if you have any questions.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:35 AM

I will check that, i forgot to mention that i cleared the codes, i tried starting it several times with the starter and then by compression and not a single code showed up...
Old 05-13-2011, 03:47 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Still could be a high pressure oil issue. Seems like these things will take a long time of cranking before they will throw a high pressure oil code. Usually if you crank on it for around 20-30 seconds straight then it will throw the ICP code. Should be something like your 1211 code, ICP above/below desired.

You don't have any way to watch ICP pressure while cranking? Some code readers will let you see some data.

Being that no codes come back right away it makes me think that it's probably not an electrical issue with the ICP sensor. So that would point back to the IPR. Check it out and let me know. Unplug that IPR connector and make sure your getting key on voltage there.

94-97 7.3's and some of the early 99's had issues with the fuel heater under the fuel filter. The heater ring would corrode and come loose, grounding out on the filter housing. That would cause a PCM fuse to blow causing a no start. What's the production date of your truck?
Old 05-13-2011, 06:03 AM

Well i got a cps code today, changed the sensor and still a no go. All my fuses are good and the heater ring is at its place. I tried new ipr and icp sensor as well and nothing changes. The other truck i am swapping parts with will start even with both sensors unplugged...
Old 05-13-2011, 06:36 AM
Powerstroke Techie

You can tell if the CPS sensor is working if your showing RPM during cranking. If no RPM then no CPS reading. Is the fuel pump coming on? Drain the fuel filter and remove the fuel cap. Have somone turn on the key and see if it fills the housing up.

7.3's will not run with the IPR disconnected. The PCM grounds out the IPR causing it to shut and block off return oil from the high pressure oil system, thus building pressure. You do have voltage at the IPR connector? Is the truck smoking at all during crank? Does it even try and fire? Have you done anything to the truck recently?
Old 05-13-2011, 06:38 AM
Powerstroke Techie

What did the IPR wiring connector look like? Did you pull the loom back near the connector and see if the wires looked good there? I've seen them kind of melt together near the connector.
Old 05-13-2011, 01:47 PM

Ok so i got power at the ipr sensor, it does not even think about starting and not one puff of smoke is coming out and i havent done anything but a u-joint recently. There is air coming out in the fuel inlet in the fuel bowl and there seems to be a lot of pressure in the fuel bowl, when i take my filter cap off it squirts fuel everywhere in the engine compartment. And it does shows rpm and oil pressure when it is rolling over.....
Old 05-13-2011, 03:21 PM
Powerstroke Techie

If it's spraying fuel out of the fuel filter then fuel pressure should be ok. I would say it's not a fuel pressure issue at this time. Of course you would really need to rig up a fuel pressure gauge to verify this but we're going to assume it's ok. Usually when a fuel pump craps out you won't get fuel spraying out and they will chug like it's trying to start.

Seeing as it's not even trying to start, and your not getting any smoke out of it we're going to continue with checking high pressure oil issues.

I think the new u-joint caused your high pressure oil pump to go out..... JK!

If your seeing RPM then the PCM is seeing it and should be trying to fire the injectors electronically. So we're going to assume that it's not an electrical issue.

If I was going to guess here I would say it's either a high pressure oil leak or the high pressure oil pump.

Seeing as you've already tried a different ICP sensor it shouldn't be that. How did the IPR valve look when you pulled it out? None of the o-rings or backing rings torn/missing? And putting in a different IPR did nothing for it?

Usually it's an IPR issue with these trucks that won't let it build ICP pressure. Really if you had a scan tool you could verify this real quick. ICP pressure needs to be at least 500 psi for it to start.

Have you had any injector work done? How many miles on the truck?

The reason I ask is if it's not the IPR, or the high pressure oil leak then an injector o-ring has blown out. What's strange about this is usually when an injector o-ring goes it will start out with causing hard start issues when hot. As the engine gets hot and the oil thins out it makes the leak worse. But it is possible that an o-ring has blown out completly, especially if it's chipped up and you were getting on it hard.

The best way to find this, if this is your issue, is to pull both valve covers and get someone to crank it for you. Watch around the injectors for oil spraying up. You will get some oil dumping off from the oil return nozzle on the injectors. But a blown o-ring should be pretty obvious.

Some aftermarket injector o-rings are junk and will blow out. I'm guessing this is your problem. Let me know what you think.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:24 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Since your showing oil pressure that should mean that the high pressure oil pump is getting plenty of oil. The oil pressure sensor is in the top of the high pressure oil resevoir. If it never built oil pressure it would point more to a low pressure oil problem. Seeing as you are getting oil pressure it points back to the high pressure oil problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.