overheating problem - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2011, 10:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
overheating problem

I am completly out of ideas and could use some help. I recently replaced the engine in my '02 with a remanufactured long block engine. Since then I have had nothing but problems with the engine overheating and none of the shops around here can figure it out.
At first the truck would overheat almost instantly. After tearing it apart we found that the injector sleeves were not installed properly and were leaking combustion into the cooling system. We replaced all sleeves and thought we had the problem fixed the truck starts up fine and idles no problem. when we took it for a test drive it ran fine just cruising around town however when we hit the open road and accelerated fast enough to kick the turbo on It quickly overheated again. After letting it cool off we started it up again and again it ran fine until the turbo kicked on and overheated again. We pressurized the cooling system for 3 days with no leaks or loss of pressure. The shop thinks it is a head gasket but the heads were all decked on a CNC machine and had new gaskets installed. The new engine has less than an hour of drive time on it so I find it hard to believe that the gaskets are blown already. I think it may have something to do with the cooling system or perhaps a hairline crack in the head?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2011, 10:39 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
its possible but then does it white smoke any?

water pump ok? oil looks ok? have you done a pressure check hot and cold?
Old 05-04-2011, 11:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

There is no Smoke at all. The water pump is brand new as well as the hoses. The oil seems to be clean and does not show anything out of the ordinary. It may be the head gaskets but I don't want to dump $1300 just to find out that the gaskets are fine. I don't know if they have done a pressure test on the engine when it is hot. would that show a leak in the head, or just the cooling system?
Thanks
Old 05-06-2011, 07:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

DID YOU BOTHER TO REMOVE THE RADIATOR AND CAC AND HAVE THEM FLUSHED AND PRESSURE TESTED. I HAVE MANY YEARS EXPERIENCE WORKING ON DIESELS AND ITS KINDA HARD TO OVER HEAT THEM, ESPECIALLY RIGHT AFTER START UP. THEY USUALLY OVERHEAT DUE TO LOSS OF AIR FLOW THROUGH THE RADIATOR, WATER PUMP FAILURE WITH NO COOLANT IN THE SYSTEM, LOSS OF OF LUBRICATING OIL PRESSURE. I'VE ACTUALLY WITNESSED A CUMMINS L-10 THAT HAD A AFTERCOOLER FAILURE AND #1 BASICALLY PUMPED COOLANT THROUGH IT BEFORE MELTING DOWN. #2 HAD BROKEN RINGS FROM #1 IMPREGNATED IN THE CROWN OF THE PISTON. THIS ENGINE WAS RUNNING WHEN IT SHOWED UP AT THE SHOP, BIT HOT, BUT RUNNING. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE NO OBSTRUCTIONS IN THE COOLING SYSTEM!
Old 05-06-2011, 07:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

MORE IDEAS, THINK SIMPLE AND BACK TO BASICS! ARE YOU ABSOLUTLY SURE THAT THERE ISN'T AN AIR POCKET AROUND THE JUGS? (CYLINDERS). CAVITATION CAN BE AN ENGINES WORST ENEMY. AIR POCKETS WILL CAUSE OVERHEATING, IF AT ALL POSSIBLE RUN THE ENGINE AT HIGH IDLE WITH THE RAD CAP OFF UNTIL THE THERMOSTAT OPENS AND SEE IF THE LEVEL DROPS IN THE RES. THIS USUALLY PURGES ALL OF THE AIR TRAPPED IN THE CYLINDER BLOCK, HEAD, RAD, ETC. TOP OFF THE COOLANT, TIGHTEN THE CAP AND ROAD TEST. HAVE THE RAD CAP PRESSURE TESTED, MAKE SURE YOUR HOSES ARE NOT COLLAPSING, THE THERMOSTAT ISN'T STUCK CLOSED OR BINDING. REMEMBER THAT THE RADIATOR IS CLOSEST TO THE ENGINE AND THE A/C CONDENSER IS THE FIRST CORE TO HAVE AIR FLOW PASSING THROUGH IT WHILE DRIVING DOWN THE ROAD. IF THE FINS ARE BENT OVER OR PLUGGED, NO AIR FLOW IS PASSING THROUGH IT, AS WELL AS THE CHARGE AIR COOLER. THEN MAKE SURE THE FAN CLUTCH IS OPERATING PROPERLY.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Lakota88,
Thanks for the advice I am not sure if any of those things have been tried. I know the radiator cap was replaced and the thermostat as well because the original engine was leaking some oil into the cooling system and ruined the rubber O-rings in the cap and thermostat. Would oil in the system cause the radiator to be blocked? The trany also went out when the engine overheated, is there a chance this might be causing my overheating issues. Perhaps something got into the cooling system from the trany? I will definately try your suggestions because at this point I want to try everything possible before I tear into the Heads. As you stated I think it is unlikely that a new engine would be blowing out head gaskets especially since this is the same type of problem we were seeing with the motor we replaced. The only common denominator here is the cooling system. Because I don't have a lot of experience in these types of issues and you obviously do, I will ask a question. Would it be likely that a head gasket would blow out when the turbo boost kicks in and overheat the engine and then re-seal itself when the engine cools down? something about that sounds a little off to me. IDK
Old 07-15-2011, 07:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

When it overheats do you hear the mega fan come on? Sounds like a semi truck? If not then that could be it. You may have a coating of oil in your radiator. Mine is overheating on very hot days when I go up long hills. I think I will start by powerwashing the radiator. Test it and then have a shop do a flush and fill. Or maybe I'll do my own flush and fill.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.