Oil Leak...Valve cover Gasket? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2011, 06:52 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Oil Leak...Valve cover Gasket?

So Im deployed right now and the wife, bless her little heart, decided to take my truck in for an oil change. Well apparently when the guy was filling it up with oil, there was a "significant" leak coming from behind the valve cover (passenger side obviously). I noticed a small leak before I left, dripping down on the up-pipes behind the passenger side valve cover. I havent had the truck long but the guy I bought it off had just done injectors and glow plugs so im thinking he cracked the cover or didnt get the gasket seated. Truck runs 110%, no sputters or abnormal smoking. What do yall think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2011, 07:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
First off, Thank you for your service!

I would tighten the valve cover bolts, it's probably not seated well. If it continues to leak change the gasket but get a complete with wiring harness one from Napa, runs around $80.00 bucks, I would doubt it's a cracked cover, they are durable unless the other person twisted it which still would be hard to do.

Pick a good friend to do it for you since your not home, Ford will take your money and give you back a large smile.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:30 AM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Field Worker View Post
Pick a good friend to do it for you since your not home, Ford will take your money and give you back a large smile.
Thanks, thats what I was thinking it was just wanted someone else to think it too Im headed back in about a month so Ill just do it when I get home, Ive got a buddy who can do it but he just got home too. Besides I need something to do when I get back right...
Old 05-01-2011, 07:47 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Give it a good engine cleaning b4, removing the A/C compressor helps, loosen the serpentine belt ( check for cracks or unusual wear or replace it and keep the one you have as a spare) remove the four bolts and just set it aside, this will allow easier access to the valve covers, Watch out for the battery when setting aside, I placed a small piece of wood under it . Ask the person you purchased this from if he changed the glow plugs, this would be a good time to do it while you have it apart.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:33 AM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Field Worker View Post
Give it a good engine cleaning b4, removing the A/C compressor helps, loosen the serpentine belt ( check for cracks or unusual wear or replace it and keep the one you have as a spare) remove the four bolts and just set it aside, this will allow easier access to the valve covers, Watch out for the battery when setting aside, I placed a small piece of wood under it . Ask the person you purchased this from if he changed the glow plugs, this would be a good time to do it while you have it apart.
Thanks for the advice, the guy I purchased the truck from said that he did both the injectors and glow plugs. Is there any way to really tell if he did? This is my second 7.3 but I never had to do anything but replace the transmisison on my last one (01 dually with 280K)? And I always keep the old belts, the make a good oil filter wrench on these trucks when used with some vice grips
Old 05-01-2011, 10:06 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

i had more leaks than i could count on the 97 when i had it. that was the biggest problem i had with that truck was new oil leaks developing left, and right! valve covers, hpop lines, engine seals. never leaked it too low so i guess i was good. my 2000 hasn't had those problems yet though the 97 had much higher mileage than this one when it started to get all the leaks. it did get a few before 165k though.

oh, and stay safe out there friend!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.