02 7.3 small oil leak - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2011, 03:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
02 7.3 small oil leak

i've got a small oil leak on my 02 7.3..its only got 73k on it! alittle bummed about that..just wondering where the most common place is? rear main? oil filter bracket?

i havent had time to check it out yet but just from glancing under the truck it looks like its coming from between the oil pan and tranny pan dripping off this little tin piece under the bell housing?i will get a closer look when i get a chance..

thanks..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2011, 10:42 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
check the valley, i bet its either a hpop line, turbo pedestal orings, or ebpv rod, otherwise your sol lol, rear mains RARELY ever go out on these things.. nearly unheard of.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:08 AM
Banned

I'm going to guess turbo pedestal.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:06 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I have what looks like a similar leak. Upgrading the turbo this weekend so going to get a good look at the pedestal and surrounding bits and see if replacing the orings helps.
Old 05-07-2011, 03:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

ok so i got a chance to peep the engine bay today after work..i dont see any oil at all near the hpop..there seems to be alot of oil/sludge mess towards the back under the turbo (pedestal) and on the bolts of the valve covers...
Old 05-08-2011, 06:32 PM

Lakailimited06, I've got the same issue on my 2002 F350 that I just bought. I'm new to the diesel world as I just bought my first truck ever, with the 7.3L. It has a small oil drip from the transmission inspection plate, and looks like the oil is coming from up top somewhere. I'm going to follow your thread and hope it leads me to finding my leak. Thanks for posting this up.

Ogre
Old 05-12-2011, 07:48 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I've got the same leak, also. When I pulled into my shop after work tonight, I saw a puddle of oil on the floor that wasn't there the day before. There is oil sitting on top of the engine and running down the back of the block. This truck is an early '99 work truck and even though I've owned it since new, I'm not that familiar with repair procedures on it because I've never had to do anything to it. It has 325,000 kms. on it and I've never had the turbo off. I can fix this myself but any advice would be appreciated.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Angry o-rings on turbo

Well, I replaced my turbo o-rings last week. It's a lot of work for a 55 year old guy. You younger guys can handle it better.

Mine still leaks, but now it comes down from the top left side instead of the top right side. So I created another leak while trying to fix another. The top of the engine is dry and the oil is coming down the rear of the block on the bottom, then drips off the transmission inspection cover, like all you other guys.

I probably screwed up the new o-rings would be my guess. So evreyone BE CAREFUL when replacing the turbo on top of the pedestal. It's heavy and difficult to get back in place on top of the pedestal without screwing up the new o-rings.

Good luck to you all. I'm probably going to have to call a stealer and get hosed.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

my leak actually looks like it is coming from the oil filter bracket..anyone ever hear of this? im sure its possible maybe just not that common..its hard to tell but from the filter bracket and below it looks the most wet...im going to have to clean everything and start fresh..the top of the motor doesnt look too bad, or bad enough to spot a leak anyway..
Old 07-20-2011, 05:41 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakailimited06 View Post
my leak actually looks like it is coming from the oil filter bracket..anyone ever hear of this? im sure its possible maybe just not that common..its hard to tell but from the filter bracket and below it looks the most wet...im going to have to clean everything and start fresh..the top of the motor doesnt look too bad, or bad enough to spot a leak anyway..

You really need to get in there with a good light and mirror if you have one, my money is on the turbo pedestal OR EBV rod on the pedestal. Remove the plastic cover, (2 13mm bolts) and get up/on there and go a-searchin. Bet you'll find it in the valley, somewhere. The drain for the valley is right above where you "see" the leak.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.