HEllllllllllpppp - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2011, 06:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HEllllllllllpppp

Okay I've been reading around on this board and pstokenation about injectors and engine issues because I had a feeling that my truck was going to have an issue.

here's the story and timeline.

3 weeks ago I bought a truck in dallas (i live in houston). I had the seller send it to a ford dealership in Arlington where they changed out a couple sensors and supposedly changed 2 injectors. when I got there to pick up the truck, it seemed to run okay, it's an e99 so I knew the power wasn't going to be what I was used to, and it seemed alot louder than my past diesels. I went ahead and bought the truck and drove it home.

I put in an open intake and a 4" exhaust and it seemed to help the sluggishness of the truck, but it always seemed to be a little rough to me, but again I never had anything to compare it to.

one night about a week ago, I drove the truck about 4 miles, killed it, then came back out about 10 minutes later and it started whomping really violently. I killed the engine and started it again about 5 minutes later and saw white smoke. Not alot, but I did see some white smoke and it smelled like fuel.

since then, it's seemed to idle rougher, take longer to start and on cold starts I'd see the white smoke for a little bit, once the truck warmed up it was fine.

Yesterday after work, truck sat about 5 hours it started up, I drove it a block and the engine died totally. Got it pulled off the road, and wouldn't re-start. about 10 minutes later it finally restarted and I got the whomping again, let it go and it idled VERY roughly for a couple minutes then settled down and ran fine again. Took it to a shop and they buzzed it, and all the injectors sounded strong, no codes at all on the engine. I left the shop, got it home, this morning on the way to work it did the exact same thing about a block from my house. Got it fired back up and dropped it off at my buddy's shop.

He's thinking it's the injectors leaking fuel when it sits. Does this sound like injectors to you guys? Can loss of compression cause these types of issues?

If it's the injectors I told him I would probably go with the bigger injectors since this is an E99 and I'd like to give the truck a little more power and fuel economy but I'm not looking to make a drag truck out of it. I've determined that I don't need to spend the money on the hybrids because I'm never going to want 450-500hp with this truck so I don't want to buy hybrids and detune. My question is, where budget and reliability are my main concerns, what type of injectors should I put in (if it's injectors)? I think stage 1's are what I want, but after that I'm kind of lost as to what I should do or where I should look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2011, 11:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Update....the truck was 8 quarts low on oil. The oil was changed 2 weeks ago, and is not dripping in my driveway, and I haven't seen huge clouds of white smoke. Where could the oil be going? what should I look for?
Old 04-26-2011, 11:33 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to drstephennix
Get up on top of your engine and look in the valley. Get a real good look at your engine and see if you can see any oil. also look at your CCV and inside your intercoolers. hopefully its not blowing it all in there.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by drstephennix View Post
Get up on top of your engine and look in the valley. Get a real good look at your engine and see if you can see any oil. also look at your CCV and inside your intercoolers. hopefully its not blowing it all in there.
I'm not sure where the CCV is located at, but it makes sense that it could be going into there, but I assume if it is that's going to be horrible for my engine. I changed out the intake and didn't see alot of oil in there, is that one of the intercooler tubes or whould I look somewhere else?
Old 04-26-2011, 12:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to drstephennix
Quote:
Originally Posted by majorpecs View Post
I'm not sure where the CCV is located at, but it makes sense that it could be going into there, but I assume if it is that's going to be horrible for my engine. I changed out the intake and didn't see alot of oil in there, is that one of the intercooler tubes or whould I look somewhere else?
Some oil in the intercooler tubes is okay, but not 8qts worth. Maybe it was just low to begin with Without oil, these trucks will not run. I would keep checking your oil on a regular basis and make sure its not going anywhere
Old 04-27-2011, 04:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Looks like the oil is just being burned...pretty sure it's a bad injector/s or o-rings. I think my decision is going to be to buy a set of stage 1's and install them in place of the existing injectors that I have.

I am def. on a budget here so I'm going to attempt to do this work myself. If I pay a mechanic to do the work then I can't afford the stage 1's.

Seeing as how I'm on a budget and I'm not trying to make a 12 second truck, my other decision is to get the upgraded PCM and get it re-flashed by a tuner. Should give me about 80hp over stock, enough to wake the truck up and satisfy me.

Anybody have any input into this plan?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.