Hard start unless block heater is plugged in - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2011, 07:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hard start unless block heater is plugged in

My wife just got a 01 from work as her new vet truck. It has a large vet pack in the bed that requires being plugged in over night or the battery's will die. They have died and the truck has been jumped several times from the previous vet that was using it. When she first got it about 2 weeks ago she did not plug in the block heater. The over night temp was in the 40's and the dodge she had did not need to be plugged in at that temp. When she tried to start it smoke came from the back fire wall/ turbo area and was a crank no start. It did this about 3 times then I sprayed some wd40 in the intake and fired right up no problem and no smoke. So thats the long story my question is am I looking at injectors or the ficm first. I am an ase master tech but not much experience in diesels and none with the power stroke. Today temp was in the high 50's the truck sat all day and was hard start again it will start fine if the block heater is plugged in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2011, 02:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Glow plugs or Glow plug relay problem would be my first thing to check out.
Here are a couple links to check out, that give directions on how to do this.
Winter Operation, Hard Starting, Hissing Sound Etc...

Welcome to guzzle's Stancor GPR replacement Mod Web Page The Guzzle Site has a lot of good info for the 7.3L Diesel truck.

Check these items out then report back on your findings, we will help as much as possible.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:45 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Get a flashlight and look behind the turbo at the exhaust y-pipe gaskets. If it is black the exhaust donuts are most likely gone. That may be your smoke from under the hood. Get your batteries out and test them each by themselves. These PSD have to have maximium volts to start and run properly. Also get your alternator checked. These tend to go out quite often leading to low voltage and bad starts and operation of the PSD. If your GPR is bad the truck will not cold start very well if at all. If your GPR is OK check both valve cover wire harnesses. Pull the wire harness plug from both VC and look at the pins to see if there is any darkened or burnt. These tend to get too hot and smoke the wire harnesses. The injector and GP wire harnesses are built in to the VCG. Check these issues out and shoot me a PM to update on your findings. I've been through all of this myself and will gladly help you along. BTY what does your wife specialize in, large animals. I run a cow herd of about 130 mama cows in NE, Kansas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.