broken glow plug... HELP PLEASE - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2011, 12:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
broken glow plug... HELP PLEASE

Hi guys, I've been trying to search this problem, but not finding the same problem that I have. I was removing the glow plug and it snapped, leaving all the threads in the hole, then tried using an easy out, it seemed to start moving but then snapped that, now I have both stuck in the glow plug hole and no way to get them out. Is there any way to do this without removing the head? I really can't do the head removal myself, and can't afford to put that much into this truck.

thanks in advance for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2011, 12:26 PM
I need money...

If the threads are still in there most likely gonna have to pull the head. Its not that bad of a job, just need a good hoist/cherry picker. If there is something you can still grip on the glow plug, might wanna try using PB blaster or something along those lines, let it sit over night and try again. I have even heard of oven cleaner being used as well to break up possible carbon around the glow plug. Better off doing it right that trashing a motor.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

is it possible to pull the head without pulling the motor? I have an engine hoist, but it looks like the cowl /heater area on the pass. side is in the way of getting to half the head bolds.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:11 PM
I need money...

Im pretty sure you can pull it without pulling the motor. Its tight but can be done. One of the recent issues of diesel power they pulled the heads off with out pulling the motor.
Old 04-27-2011, 08:06 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I have two GP in my truck bad. One is fused to the head and the other has the bottom swelled enough it is stuck. I had to unplug both of them because of the dead short issue. I was told it was gonna cost me $2500 to fix it right. I may try this myself this summer. Still would like more information on the tear down procedure my self.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.