GTP38R Issue – Internal parts were not the right spec - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2011, 01:33 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
GTP38R Issue – Internal parts were not the right spec

Has anyone out there had a defective Garrett GTP38R where the heat shield wasn’t the right side and allowed it to spin cooking the inside bearing with the exhaust gases that got by?

I spent the money about two years back for the GTP38R turbo. The last turbo I was told I would ever buy. Right out the whole I had a funny sound. Everyone, from the Garrett Rep, Shop, Garrett, and this site said that sound was normal. Well over time the sound got worse and finally my gas millage started dropping. This weekend I pulled the turbo and took it down to the local shop. I first thought it had a cracked impellor, but as we pulled it apart the problem was quickly seen somewhere else. The inner heat shield which also works as a form of crush sleeve was too small. This allowed three things to happen. First the Exhaust gases were escaping out of the turbo(the wrong way). Second the heat shield was spinning while the turbo was cold. Last, since the heat shield wasn’t the correct fit, the exhaust was cooking my bearings ( I noticed my boost was slowly going down on freeway speeds).

The guys down at the shop are doing everything they can to warranty this bastard out, but the question is coming up, am I screwed because the failure was discovered two years into it. The problem has been since day one, and the shop owner remembers me coming in complaining that something wasn’t right. I contacted Garrett back in the day but I can’t seem to find the email chain with the case ID. So I tried calling Garrett only to get busy only phone numbers (not working most likely,) resulting in not being able to get ahold of anyone to get the proof I need that I contacted them the first week of ownership.

Am I screwed? Anyone have an inside man at Garrett that can help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2011, 01:39 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
One more note. Total Millage 10,000-15,000 miles on this turbo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.