Boost psi. What's normal ? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2011, 08:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Boost psi. What's normal ?

I've had 02 f350 for several years It has always seemed to lack power when pulling ( anything ) from camper to boat to empty trailer. I've put a boost gauge on and it will get up to 20 psi when you floor it but falls back off. When pulling down freeway it will never maintain boost over 10-11 psi. Is this normal or should it boost and maintain more than that ? Any help would be appreciated Also when trying to maintain 60 mph or more in overdrive I can hear a hissing. Is this hissing normal ?? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2011, 09:31 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
all sounds normal for a stock truck, with a chip you will see more boost, do you have the stock intake/exhaust as well?? hissing could be excess air coming out of the intake is it like a wossssssshhhhhhhh sound? lol
Old 04-18-2011, 02:29 AM

Check your intercooler/intake boots for boost leaks. You shouldn't spike to 20 and then drop to 10. You should be able to hold your max pressure +- 3 psi or so.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It has aftermarket exaughst Factory intake. Banks six gun. I've checked boots. They seem tight. The hissing is a constant air sound. Like a compressor with a air line with a hole in it just constantly leaking. U can only hear it when pulling in overdrive with rpm low at about 60 mph or more If it should maintain more than 10 psi then there a leak somewhere. Could it be anywhere besides the rubber boots ?
Old 04-18-2011, 08:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So if I'm understanding y'all right then it should be able to maintain 16-18 psi under load at 2000 to 2500 rpm cruising Right ??
Old 04-18-2011, 08:20 AM
Premium Member

It should be able to sustain peak boost, ie; 20 lb PSI, but you won't have peak boost at cruise. Unless you're cruising with the pedal matted that is. Boost is power/pedal dependent. Mash the pedal and boost will go up until you let off the pedal. Boost at 2000-2500 rpm cruising will be "load"(uphill/downhill, headwind/tailwind, unloaded/10Klb trailer, etc...) dependent.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:45 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
my 2000 with e the stuff in my sig goes down the road just cruising at 60mph and roughly 17-1800rpms, with roughly 6-7psi of boost. same conditions with 8k behind it i might see 10-11lbs of boost, I can make 28-29lbs of boost and keep it there but if I come off of it at all it just falls off. Id say your probly doing ok.....
Jim

All of this on a 65 hp tow tune. with my extreme or street tunes it will push a few more PSI
Old 04-18-2011, 09:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

If I'm pulling it's a dog. If I'm not it's fine. When I'm cruising and pulling my camper (8000pounds ) or even my bassboat. It be at round 8-11 psi. If I start to pull a hill the only way I can get the boost psi to climb is to floor it , make it downshift and it sounds like it gonna blow up and egt's go straight to 1300 It's always pulled like a turd ! I had a 2000 model f250 that pulled great. I finally got this thing payed for and would like to find the problem I run 35's so I thought if I regeared it that would help Went to 4:11 it helped a little but still a dog !! Any ideas would be appreciated
Does every truck have that air hissing sound when pulling ? Maybe my wastegait stuck open a little ?? I don't know how to check that ?
Old 05-04-2011, 10:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

unplug the sensor on the turbo pesestal in the front.See if the hissing stops.
Sounds like the exhaust is being restricted.check for restriction in the exhaust, bent pipe etc?did the problem appear after fitting the after market exhaust?sounds like exhaust back pressure problem if you hear hissing sound. another way remove exhaust completely and run a straight 4 inch pipe and see if you still have same problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.