HELP. switched to ELC now have leaks. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2011, 06:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HELP. switched to ELC now have leaks.

Hey guys, well about month ago I did a coolant flush. I also added my dieselsite 203 thermostat, billet housing, and coolant filter. I recharged teh system with Rotella ELC. I flushed it properly, and there was no residual coolant from before.

All was fine until now. I have leaks everywhere. The heater core hoses are leaking at the inlets to the core on the firewall, its leaking around the temp sender, and it looks like its leaking around the pump possibly.

With the green fluid in it before NOTHING leaked. Is it a result of the ELC? and am I stuck changing all of these gaskets now?

Could it just be that certain seals arent compatible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2011, 06:54 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
I can't help, but I am subscribing, I was planning on doing mine with Rotella ELC ASAP... Now... maybe not.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

update:

So I wanted to clear up where exactly it was leaking. I washed the engine down with water, and than started it up, watching for leaks. Its is leaking around the thermostat housing, and by the heater core hoses (at firewall). I JUST changed to the billet t stat housing, with a 203* tstat, and new seal from diesel site.

could the system be overpressurizing? and if so what should I do about it?
Old 04-04-2011, 10:08 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
weird it does sound like you have too much pressure. i dont think thats elc related, i've been running it for a long time, as well as many others, these motors are made to run on it.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:56 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I know its not your only leak, but I have read on here and other sites that the billet housing doesn't seal as well as a stock one. Apparently the stock one kind of bends into place, while the billet one won't. Maybe try some rtv there?
Old 04-05-2011, 05:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Actually now that I've had time to think about it, the 203 would cause a slightly higher pressure of the coolant, exposing any leaks. I think the o rings in the heater hose quick connects must be shot. Did a lot of reading last night, and found as well people having leaks with the billet housings. I will remove the tstat and housing and file the cast aluminum with a flat file to make sure the surface is flat. And Ill rtv it on the outside of the o ring. Sorry guys, I just kind of panicked last night when I popped my hood and saw coolant everywhere.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Solved my leaks. Removed the billet housing, and filed the water pump mating surface flat. Made sure all was clean/dry and used a bit of RTV sealant, along with a new o-ring, and it sealed right up. Fixed my heater core hose connections by cutting the lines back, using 5/8 barbs and heater hose with hose clamps to seal them off.

Thanks for the help.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:00 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Good to know about your leaks/fixes. I am planning on doing the exact same thing to my 2002 Excursion. I have the billet housing, 203* t-stat, ELC, dual alt upper rad hose to go around the belt and the coolant filter kit ready to be installed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.